Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • shoulder injury – rotator cuff injury
  • MadBillMcMad

Four weeks a go I had a wee tumble off the bike and my right shoulder clouted a tree stump.

Fortunately biking is pretty well OK, if you ignore lifting the bike over gates (so no footpaths!!).

However odd actions are really sore such as un-stacking the dishwasher, drying with the towell etc. More importantly for me swimming. In the pool it is mildly annoying. Afterwards it can be really sore.

I do have an NHS physio appointment sometime when I get to the front of the queue.

My question is should I stop swimming in the meantime ?
    (Not something I want to hear).

RobHilton
    Free Member

Doctor, it hurts when I do this…

Sorry, no help from me.

loddrik
    Free Member

Did mine 3 years ago, still bloody sore now, especially when I put arms above my head.

_tom_
    Free Member

+1 loddrik except mine was almost 2 years ago. Do physio stuff every day and it doesn’t give me too many problems unless I have to lift something above my head (which doesn’t really happen that often!). Seems to get stiffer in the cold and I do notice a difference if I neglect the stretches.

rocketman
    Free Member

Depends on how much you’ve torn it. Minor tears < 5% of the muscle fibres you will be OK-ish in 3-6 weeks but in my case min 3 months before it stopped being intrusive and longer still before I pronounced it ‘OK’.

Have a look at EVS SB02 (no good for swimming btw)

alfabus
    Free Member

i tore my rotator cuff in 2008… it didn’t stop hurting into 2010.

you need to rest it until it heals, and then build back up slowly, preferably under the supervision of a physio.

IANAD – go to a doctor and get referred for physio!

Dave

andydicko
    Free Member

Got a torn bicep tendon where it joins my rotator cuff, off in for surgery on Thursday, oh the joy 🙁

MadBillMcMad

depressing that all is.

After today’s swim I think I need to rest and wait for the physio appointment – very frustrating.

With that & my sore achilles I think I might look at multiple amputation.

Bear
    Free Member

Get some theraband and see a physio preferably one that knows about cricket as is a really common injury for cricketers. Used to excercised to prevent injury.

fastindian
    Free Member

i found swimming improved mine.

Did you get a proper diagnosis?

Edukator
    Free Member

I tore mine skiing. I gave up swimming for a couple of months and slept sitting up as it was too painful lying down. I did no physio and started doing things again when they were uncomfortable rather than painful. Swimming then helped matters and I was soon back up to speed in the pool. By the next X-C ski season there was no more than a mild ache when working hard.

MadBillMcMad

Thx all.

diagnosis so far is only from the GP and that was that I have hurt my shoulder & go to physio.

Looking at the info on rotator cuff it looks like I have done something in that area but not sure what. It hurts to raise my arm above the shoulder & more to raise my arm palm up than down.

alfabus
    Free Member

It hurts to raise my arm above the shoulder

mine hurt to raise my arm… it was a tear of the supraspinatus (the muscle on the top).

Rotator cuff is a whole group of muscles, finding out which one you have torn (and how much you’ve torn it) is an important first step, as that will help target exercise.

You’ll need to rest it for a while first though to let it repair enough to be ready to work.

PHYSIO – NOW!

Dave

nwgiles

I tore mine playing rugby, not fully.
    Missed 2 seasons, had to trash my shoulder muscles, physio gave me exercises which irritate the muscles, to improve repair rates.
    Then had to work the muscles correctly and build them again.

long process, i am ready to play this year but a lot smaller

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘shoulder injury – rotator cuff injury’ is closed to new replies.