Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shoulder / collarbone protection- suggestions please
  • jruk
    Free Member

I broke my collarbone at the weekend and am looking for some protection for when I get back on the bike. I don’t want a full on dh suit, just some decent shoulder protection with something over the collarbone – most of the stuff I’ve seen looks like it’s got straps coming over the shoulders which won’t be a good idea.

I’ve looked at horseriding stuff but that is too stiff for mtb by all accounts so I’m currently thinking of padded rugby shirts but not sure if the material will last that long.

Any suggestions?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

To do what? Protect it a bit from rucksack straps when you get back on your bike or to protect it in a crash? Body armour wont save it I dont think if you hit it hard enough to break

crikey
    Free Member

The mechanism of collar bone injury can’t be protected by padding.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Better skills, or just accept things break when you crash… thats why Mountain Biking is hardcore gnarrr 😈

benjii19
    Free Member

I broke mine about 11 years ago. Still occasionally gets annoying and painful. Still a bit worried about coming off an injuring myself as I’ve got the bone density of a burnt match stick.

That’s probably why I go slow (and the other two broken bones from other incidents) I might take up tiddlywinks instead.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I broke mine about 11 years ago. Still occasionally gets annoying and painful

ditto.

Hope it heals straight. Mine was offset and had to be “adapted” a few years later. At least i can carry a rucsac again now.
    Its all part of growing up/old….

ianv
    Free Member

I bought a rugby undershirt from decathlon. It has pretty good shoulder padding and is pretty light. Don’t actually know if will work as I have not landed on my shoulder while wearing it but rugby players seem to get their fair share of collar bone injuries, so I guess it is what it is designed to protect.

rexated
    Free Member

I’ve broken each collar bone twice! The breaks happen when you put your hand out to stop your head / body slamming into the ground, which is pretty instinctive and unavoidable! The force is transferred up your arm, and if you wrist doesn’t break then the collarbone takes the hit. Consequently there’s little you can do in the way of protecting it unfortunately.

If it’s padding you’re thinking of re camelbak straps, just use a water bottle until you’re mended!

Hope you heal quickly and well.

benjii19
    Free Member

Hope it heals straight. Mine was offset and had to be “adapted” a few years later. At least i can carry a rucsac again now.
    Its all part of growing up/old….

Yeah mines got an overlap and does look odd in certain positions. You can tell it’s shorter on one side. Did go to have it looked at a few times including going private but they said it was just a malunion and chances were an operation to get it fixed so late on might cause complications.

brant
    Free Member

I was thinking about doing some yoga or martial arts training to learn to crash better, but never have yet.

rexated
    Free Member

I was thinking about doing some yoga or martial arts training to learn to crash better, but never have yet.

I thought about that too. I reckon it would be good to learn how to tumble for over-the-bars get-offs, but my breaks have happened from the bike sliding out from under me to the side, leaving me no time to think about how I can fall – hit the deck before you know it moments.

My other bright protection plan was suggested by a mate: drink more milk 🙄

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I broke mine with a straightforward shoulder charge into the ground I never got my hand out

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

661 subgear vest has shoulder pads which are useful for a fall where you bash your shoulder against something – although not if you use your arm to guard against the fail, which could lead to another break.

Practice forward rolls in the garden and when you are coming off your bike try to hold on to the grips for as long as possible so it starts your forward roll and you land on your back…

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I keep saying it, do Judo!

You learn to breakfall, but more than that, you do it so often, it becomes instinctive, breaking the reflex action to put your hand out to stop yourself.

Depending on demand, Judo classes for the MTB community may be available in the Glasgow area from this August… 😛

sunnrider
    Free Member

Yoga leaves you flexible and might help.

Problem with collarbone injuries is that there´s usually a “superman” moment preceeding them. Tense up in a crash, arms out and the impact has nowhere else to go. I´ve yet to see anyone smart enough to barrel roll out of an otb moment (myself included).

bigG
    Free Member

Broken one of mine twice and the other once. In my experience there is no protection that will stop the risk of further breaks. Learn to not put your hands out when you crash, and to roll when you do land.

If you can learn the above, well done. I still put my hands out when I crash, and I roll like a house brick.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I now put my hands out. Last OTB put me in hospital with a knackered hand…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder / collarbone protection- suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.