Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Should we do Helvellyn?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Me and the GF are at odds as to whether or not to do the highest legal mountain climb in England on Thursday … though weather is not looking good and she says not to take it too lightly. Thoughts???

grum
    Free Member

Which route? Are you comfortable with navigating in bad weather?

redthunder
    Free Member

Thirlspot BW.

GF posted first post.

Garry_Lager

I did it for the first time last week, asked about it on here and got great route advice. Great ride but I’d swerve it in bad weather. Nae views, and some of the harder descents you’d probably be holding back on in the rain. One for a nicer day – the top of the mountain is very impressive, be a shame not to see it in the clouds and rain.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it (again) tbh.

We pushed up Dollywagon and then flew down the old miners path. We did a High Street loop he next day and enjoyed it far more.

lowey

er, walking or cycling ?

grum
    Free Member

Thirlspot BW

Never done it that way, are you talking about just going up and back the same way? Looks pretty short and steep.

In bad weather I would probably stay lower down tbh – BWs in Grizedale are normally a good shout in bad weather.

I wouldn’t do it (again) tbh.

We pushed up Dollywagon and then flew down the old miners path.

That’s cos you did it the wrong way round. High Street has great views but most of the top is a bog.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Well if you’ve ‘done’ the far east, like Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and then like ‘done’ Australia and then like, New Zealand, then why not ‘do’ Helvellyn?

I usually climb (or walk) it by the way.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice … we are watching the weather right now! Not looking good 🙁

Where is the high street?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Up Keppel Cove and down Sticks Pass is a good way , if you like techy descents.
    Dollywagon has massive rocky steps, so impossible up and hard going down. If its dry, heading north over the Dodds is a gradual, grassy (boggy) alternative.

High Street is the other side of Ullswater
    If the weather’s grim the bridleway along Ullswater is one of the best low-level trails in the Lakes, you can loop over Boredale Hause and back.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Where is the high street?

High Street is south of Ullswater and runs all the way to Windermere.
    Totally different route to Helvellyn.

When I did Helvellyn on the MTB I started from Glenridding, headed east along the lakeside, turned left up the A5091 to Dockray, left again to High Row, picked up the bridleway at Groovebeck Fold, then over Matterdale Common, the Dodd’s (Great, Watsons’s & Stybarrow), Raise, Whiteside Bank, and onto Helvellyn Summit.

To descend, I backtracked down Whiteseide Bank and took the bridleway down Red Screes/Keppel Cove/Glenridding Common, and back down into the centre of Glenridding.

All in blazing sunshine with stunning views across the Lakes.

I would recomment waiting for good weather if poss.

elliptic
    Free Member

Weatherline says:

Strong westerly winds with gales over many higher ridges and summits, average speeds of 30 to 40mph and gusts 55mph. This will cause severe buffeting in exposure.

…doesn’t sound like a day for riding over the tops today 🙁

Late breakfast in Ambleside, head over to Grizedale this afternoon as the showers break up?

redthunder
    Free Member

Did’nt do Helvellyn 🙁 But did Loughrigg Fell which was fun 🙂

Got my first grumbling walker 🙂 Bitching about bikes everywhere. I was on a bridleway and stopped. I only saw two other MTB’s on the entire holiday [not including Grizdale].

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you consider yourself a mountainbiker then you HAVE to do it at some point. (I/we did it about 8 years ago)
    You will probably never want to do it again though.
    I’ve been to the top of Helvellyn 5 times, I’d walk it again but not bike it.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

You will probably never want to do it again though.

😯 I live in the North Lakes and we’re on the tops at least two or three times a week. Good or bad ride, I only want to be out more !

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Many of the best routes in the Lakes are best done when the weather conditions allow,half of High street and some bits of Hellvelyn are quite boggy and exposed.

Recent heavy rain would mean to do Hellvelyn i would do the greenside mine keppel cove climb, via lower man, and decend the same way if you, or your gf is not a fan of very steep pitching on dollywagon..

I agree with parked Tiger,as a local once you know when, and where to ride you cant get out enough! 😉

You really need a good day with cloud off the summitt to appreciate this route though..

have a good one 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Should we do Helvellyn?’ is closed to new replies.