Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Should the UK public have the right to chip barms?
  • ThePinkster

Veg oil or lard?

Neither. Beef dripping FTW.

Bap wedged with chips, way too much butter and salt & vinegar topped with ketchup sounds wonderful at the moment.

And I’ve just finished one of Mrs. Pinkster’s near perfect chicken casseroles.

brocks
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you have mule with a muffin

Cougar

Jesus Harold Christ on a pogo stick. STW has had its share of ill-informed, offensive threads over the years, but on the back of this I’ve half a mind to life-ban three quarters of the posters on this thread. WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

I’m going to flounce off to bed right now but I want you all to have a good long think about what you’ve done. I’ll be back in the morning and there will be a test.

maccruiskeen

Don’t make him angry, you wouldn’t like him when he’s angry

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

**If you can, may I suggest you take a long, hard look at your choice of fillings….

May I suggest you’re not using enough butter.

1) butter doesn’t tear the bread apart, just slice it and put it on, if it couldn’t be mistaken for a hunk of cheese from a few paces you’re doing it wrong.

2) a proper amount of butter will also serve to prevent the half pint of vinegar from soaking into the bread cake and causing it to dissolve, rather like a tasty wax jacket for your dinner.

Amen to beef dripping and enough salt to make your chips look furry.

robdob
    Free Member

Butter spreads just fine if you don’t keep it in the fridge, should be in a nice butter dish in a cold area.

Although slices of cold butter ARE awesome!

wallop

Margarine!? Just, no! It’s made of plastic!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Apparently thEeeyeu wants fer tban the chippy butty due to carb overloading …….fact !

what a load of bollocks. who told you that?

Yak

Might be the WHO’s advice on trans-fats and then Denmark, Austria, Hungary, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland’s response to limit them. Unaware that this was to extend further.

Anyway, lard, dripping, butter etc is ok. It’s the veg oils that are no good I think.

This might all be bollocks anyway, so I reckon chip butties/barms/baps/muffins are safe.

D0NK

You’ll be saying that a stew in one of those earthenware dishes with a pastry lid is a pie next.

I specifically commented on that bit of misselling

After all, the pastry is *just* a delivery mechanism.

Woah woah, did you see a just in my post, no you didn’t. My point was that pastry is a delivery mechanism so it doesn’t need another one (bread – if you spin it around I’m very doubtful you would find anyone suggesting a sandwich pie even amongst some of the reprobates on this thread) Good pastry is also damn tasty but is still an accompaniment to the filling and the filling:pastry ratio should always be generous.

1) butter doesn’t tear the bread apart, just slice it and put it on, if it couldn’t be mistaken for a hunk of cheese from a few paces you’re doing it wrong.

my dad used that method to assemble his post nightshift cheese crackers, cheese sliced only slightly thicker than the butter. Unsurprisingly he isn’t allowed these anymore.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

my dad used that method to assemble his post nightshift cheese crackers, cheese sliced only slightly thicker than the butter. Unsurprisingly he isn’t allowed these anymore.

But without the soft medium of butter to squash them into, surely either the crackers break or the pickled onions just roll off?

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, whatever.

In about ten minutes I’m off for the only thing I look forward to during the working week (other than going home in the evening and the Wednesday night ride) – that’s right – Steak and Kidney Pie & Chips for lunch on a Friday.

No cobs, but the chippy we frequent is particularly good in my opinion.

I’ll spend the afternoon semi-conscious as a result – just how I like it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You can not seriously buy a pie from a chip shop?!?

Battered haddock or cod (depending on how keen you are on bottom feeders – cod seems popular in that there “the south”, coincidence?). Fish cake maybe so long as it’s the proper fish fillet sandwiched betwixt two thick slices of potato, battered and deep fried (rather good in a bun). A battered sausage at a push. But not a pie, I bet it’s not even pan fried let alone deep fried in dripping.

Heretic.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You can not seriously buy a pie from a chip shop?!?

Pfft!

Have you ever been to Glasgow?

Standard deep fried delights include ( excluding fish)

Battered sausage
    Smoked Sausage
    Scotch Pie
    Steak Pie
    Battered Haggis
    Battered Hamburger
    Whole Chicken
    Half Chicken
    Battered Black pudding
    Deep fried Pizza ( Whole or half )
    Battered Deep fried pizza ( a.k.a Pizza crunch)

That’s not including the exotica such as the apocryphal Mars Bar and the notorious Stonner.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chip butty dissassemblage is go!

(tommy K and butter FTR)

bartyp
    Free Member

😆

Should Scotland have the right to chip bams?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirLsHtUwX0[/video]

theotherjonv

Woah woah, did you see a just in my post, no you didn’t. My point was that pastry is a delivery mechanism

No, you’re right on that point, and I’m duly chastised for adding my own just for effect.

However, while you may have not specifically dissed the pastry, you haven’t shown the pastry the reverence it deserves in describing it as merely a delivery mechanism. Especially when it’s got beef and kidney juice soaked into it.

rangerbill

Those chips in the original photo need at least another minute. Golden Brown not flaccid pale.

jimmy

S&V (or sawss) – ffs do it yourself, chippy servers never put enough on no matter how much you emphasise ‘LOTS’.

mrsfry
    Free Member

According to Wiki, the bread has to be ‘White and butterd’!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

Just goes to show, that you can’t trust the internet 🙄

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Should the UK public have the right to chip barms?’ is closed to new replies.