Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Should the UK public have the right to chip barms?
  • Harry_the_Spider

The first politician to agree to give them away for free will earn a landside.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whatsa barm? Is it a bun, a warm bun perrrraps?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A chip WHAT?

wwaswas

Possibly the most anemic sandwich I’ve ever seen.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’m of out to get some chips, power to the people!

khani
    Free Member

ITS A **** MUFFIN!

Harry_the_Spider

Death to the infidels.

fasthaggis

LoCo
    Free Member

Chip barm? oven bottom maybe

perchypanther
    Free Member

Roll and chips. With a fritter. and Broon sauce.

Dirty. 😈

rocket
    Free Member

That my friend is an (over-filled) chip muffin. Not seeing a lot of butter either. Assuming the brown sauce is out of shot?

Yak

Chip barm? NOooooo

Wigan Kebab on the other hand (as per image above), much better.

edit – like this. Chips on the side. They are not the main event 😈 😉

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Chip butty innit?

maccruiskeen

RIGHT! – thats it, I’m going down the cafe, even though its pissing down.

fasthaggis

RIGHT! – thats it, I’m going down the cafe, even though its pissing down.

Och,are yi gettin homesick?

😉

D0NK

pie/pasty barms are wrong, pastry is basically a delivery mechanism for the filling, it allows you to hold it while eating and offers some protection in transit (in your camelbak or whilst walking down the high street) Much the same as a sandwich, so it’s basically duplication of effort and diluting the filling/casing ratio.
    Only time you should want bread with a “pie” would be if it was one of those top crust only affairs, but those don’t count as pies.

Chip barms are awesome, but as rocket mentions HtS’s barm is looking a bit dry, needs butter, ketchup (or salad cream according to my mrs) or a tub of gravy/curry sauce to dip in/pour on (the latter is detrimental to the mobility options tho)

maccruiskeen

pie/pasty barms are wrong, pastry is basically a delivery mechanism for the filling, it allows you to hold it while eating and offers some protection in transit (in your camelbak or whilst walking down the high street) Much the same as a sandwich, so it’s basically duplication of effort and diluting the filling/casing ratio.

In principle you’re correct. Practical experience however is something else. There no good reason to put a pie in a bread roll…. other than the result being magnificent.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve lived in 4 different towns in my life – each one of them has a different word for that thing up there.

Being from Radcliffe I prefer the term “chip muffin”.

Anyone that says muffin is a cake can f*** off back to America.

maccruiskeen

each one of them has a different word for that thing up there

Nudger?

plumber
    Free Member

Only time you should want bread with a “pie” would be if it was one of those top crust only affairs, but those don’t count as pies.

Wrong

brakes
    Free Member

no matter what you call it, it needs more butter, more sauce, more salt, more grease and maybe, just maybe a few scraps…. nom.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got a steak in the fridge for tea. It’s looking pretty 2nd rate after reading this.

theotherjonv

pastry is basically a delivery mechanism for the filling

Maybe in some parallel universe, but not the one I’m in.

You’ll be saying that a stew in one of those earthenware dishes with a pastry lid is a pie next. After all, the pastry is *just* a delivery mechanism. Pastry my friend, is what makes a pie a great event.

bencooper
    Free Member

Chib bams?

Quite common here in Glasgow, but do we really want to encourage vigilantes?

dannyh
    Free Member

Should the UK public have the right to chip barms?

Nope, but I’d vote for a right to a chip cob as any normal person would say.

martymac

i used to enjoy a M&S chicken and cream sauce pie in a roll.
    ate them for years, despite protestations from the first mrs mac (you’ll burn yourself)
    then one day, i bit into it a little early and burnt the roof of my mouth ‘aaargh’
    i took it away from my mouth, and the sauce spilled out, getting me on my bare wrist ‘aaargh’
    i then put it into my other hand, and it spilled out and got me on the other wrist too ‘F***** H***’ at full volume.
    it totally cured me from eating a pie like that, not because of the burns, but due to the fact that for about 3 weeks after the incident, anytime there was a lull in conversation, my 2 yr old daughter would say ‘ah, ah, kin ell’
    i was mortified.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be a thread about electronic tracking for keeping an eye on the whereabouts of English cricket fans

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’d be a chip cob here too. mmmm, chips…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A pie in a cob is pointless.
    Pie should be with chips, peas and gravy, and the bread used to make a chip butty and to soak up excess gravy.

That is the way it has always been. I have spoken.

ads678

Barm, batch, cob, bun, muffin, butty, stottie, bap, teacake, breadcake, roll, oven bottom, scuffler, whaaateva.

I want one! Not that one above though cos it looks crap.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Are we allowed to squash the bap down?
    Can we use marg instead of butter?
    What happens to people who use mayo (or brown sauce 👿 )?
    What is the recommend chip length to width ratio?
    Oven chips of fried?
    Veg oil or lard?

These questions need answers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are we allowed to squash the bap down?

Yes, this shows it’s properly filled to the max

Can we use marg instead of butter?

It’s easier to spread and doesn’t rip the bread apart

What happens to people who use mayo (or brown sauce )?

If you use mayo you’re Belgian. ‘Brown sauce’ is the devils work, only real HP Sauce is acceptable.

What is the recommend chip length to width ratio?

5:1 to 10:1

Oven chips of fried?

Whatever is available. Oven chips are pretty good these days. ‘Fries’ are, again, the spawn of Beelzebub

Veg oil or lard?

How good’s your heart..?

khani
    Free Member

Oven chips or fried

Oven chips! 😯 get out! and take your marg with you..

robdob
    Free Member

“A pie in a cob is pointless.
    Pie should be with chips, peas and gravy, and the bread used to make a chip butty and to soak up excess gravy.
    That is the way it has always been. I have spoken.”

Even though you are my brother and we come from the same place in the UK and should share the same values, I cannot agree with you.

You have pledged your allegiance to the south, mine is to the North. I have witnessed many many food miracles in the north. Hot pork pie, mushy peas and mint sauce. Chips and curry sauce. Pies so large you gasp at their enormity. Yorkshire puddings with everything. So many sausages everywhere it makes you weep. And we haven’t even got onto the myriad of traditional butchers dealing out their own brands of pork pies made with secret ingredients like crack cocaine to the masses. Curd tart (vile but I respect the passion for it), white pudding, beef dripping sold everywhere. Never being more than 2 minutes walk from a Greggs. So many food places where the owners are openly hostile to their customers but it doesn’t matter because the food is so good you’d crawl over broken glass naked to get it. Pork scratching stage size of your arm (and a lot hairier), gravy so thick you can mortar bricks with it. For crying out loud there’s even a Rhubarb Triangle to provide fruit for massive crumbles all year round. Being served tea with an extra pot of hot water at EVERY tea shop (I think environmental health close them down if they don’t round here).

However, I do have to agree it should be called a cob. I just can’t get used to calling them baps! 😉

gozarch
    Free Member

There’s no need for marg in any context, but particularly not in a chip barm. Butter, LOTS of salt and vinegar, tomato sauce and as many chips as you can squash in there. It’s the only way.

robdob
    Free Member

“It’s easier to spread and doesn’t rip the bread apart”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah why not?
    I’ve never been that bothered about butter TBH*. S’okay I suppose but you can’t taste the difference in a decent sandwich**

* Except in a baked potato

**If you can, may I suggest you take a long, hard look at your choice of fillings….

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Apparently thEeeyeu wants fer tban the chippy butty due to carb overloading …….fact !

mrsfry
    Free Member

Is this allowed ?

???

It’s on sliced white

Harry_the_Spider

No, no it isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Should the UK public have the right to chip barms?’ is closed to new replies.