Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Should my suspension pump show an increase in pressure when I compress my forks?
  • WaywardRider
    Free Member

Got some talas forks (6 years old now). If I attach my pump to the forks it reads an air pressure of say 80. When I compress my forks the pump doesn’t show an increase in air pressure. Am I right in thinking that it should? The fact that is doesn’t signifies what??

goodgrief
    Free Member

A broken gauge? Try another pump.

jamj1974

It should yes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think about it, just away and ride the bike!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No! There’s a one-way valve in the way, I would hope.

MSP

There was a suspension telemetry device recently that suggests yes.

jamj1974

Not in my recent experience.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just because your forks are broke don’t mean they all are 😉

drofluf
    Free Member

No, the pump fitting holds the valve open surely? Otherwise why is when I press a button on my pump (Rockshox) does it let the air out of the fork?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

haha

d’oh

in that case OP, you’re doooooooomed

fadda

There must be a valve in the way, otherwise the pump wouldn’t work!

Quick edit: is the valve in the pump, rather than the fork? That way, the release button will work, and all the pressurised air won’t leak back into the pump, as you pump it…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Presta valves are an unsprung check valve with the internal pressure pushing back. Schrader valves are sprung so either need to be held open mechanically or need a higher pressure pump side to overcome the spring. Have a look at the end of your shock pump. Does it have a pin to hold the valve core in the open position? It should do if it has a bleed button. Perhaps you need to screw it on a little further.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I agree with glasgowdan , just ride it .

Could the forks not change the pressure at the pump because air moves from the pos to the neg chamber as the forks are compressed .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Should my suspension pump show an increase in pressure when I compress my forks?’ is closed to new replies.