Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Should museums be free?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

In in the ‘most definitely yes’ camp here, regardless of the £45 million annual cost.
    This our History, our Art, our Culture on display and it needs to be seen. Also, foreign visitors to our museums bring in £315 million per year it seems.

RustySpanner

Yes.
    Education through osmosis works a treat.

And stop closing down existing ones, Queens Park in Manchester for example.

toys19
    Free Member

Is it a question? They already are aren’t they? Happy days. 😀

kimbers

yes, yes, yes

muddydwarf
    Free Member

They are, but moves are afoot to cut the funding that allows them to let you in for free.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Also, foreign visitors to our museums bring in £315 million per year it seems.

So are they free to british residents, but not to visitors? How do they work that then, passports on entry?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in the Yes camp too.

MrSparkle

Is there a ‘damn right’ camp? If so I’m in it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Museums free to all Stuey, it’s extrapolated from the average spend that foreign visitors spend in and around the museums i believe, around £90 per visit it’s claimed on TV this morning (how they go about gathering this i don’t know)

thomthumb
    Free Member

yes. when i was a kid my parents took us to london to a museum once a year. The cost of trains + entry was pretty substantial (we were pretty poor in the 90s) to the point where it was a once a year special thing.

shame if some kids can’t afford to be educated.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Yes, we need to be aware of our culture and heritage – if we know who we are and how we got here, it helps us understand where we’re going
    But, I’ve been to a couple of “upgraded” museums recently and can’t say I’ve been too impressed. The buildings are nice, but laid out in a “look at this” fashion with no real attempt to explain the relevance of one exhibit to the next. my local museum used to have a Victorian pub and shop interior – gone to be replaced by a cafe selling pannini and expresso (something like espresso, just not quite right). There seems to be a lack of cohesiveness about displays and they now seem to be places full of pretty things to look at, not places where you can look at things and learn from them. Maybe I’m wrong in thiking there’s an element of “dumbing down” and maybe the niceness of the building design will be inspirational, but I just don’t see it myself.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I agree some museums seem to have gone down the wrong route, but other modern museums are real eye-openers, the Imperial War Museum North in Manchester is a great example. A museum dedicated to telling the stories of how war affected ordinary people from across the world.

Cougar

What’s wrong with “suggested donations”? I always donate an ‘entry fee’ when I go to a museum, but I think making it mandatory would be bad.

Cougar

the Imperial War Museum North in Manchester is a great example.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago. For someone with zero interest in wars, I thought it was really fascinating and very well put together.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Thanks muddydwarf. I was confuddled for a minute there.

I really should go to the Natural History and Science museums again. They are awesome.

midlifecrashes

Some are free, some are not. If the place is publicly owned then yes. If privately owned then why should they be? How about English Heritage and the equivalents, and National Trust(s) places? Some of their entrance charges are prohibitive if you’re not well off.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot of work for EH over the last 10yrs as a re-enactor, and i’m always amazed (pleasantly amazed) at how many families will pay an absolute fortune to EH for the pleasure of entering what is basically an old ruin. Mind you, i’ve no idea of the general numbers that come through the gates when there isn’t a show on.

P.S. Our re-enactment group charges EH for our events but that money doesn’t reach our pockets, we are a non-profit organisation and all money is put into the group to keep it running. Usually costs me over £100 per weekend to attend an event.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I agree with the above, free entry and a donation box/vase/plinky plonky music sculpture (there’s one in Sheffield). Events and special exhibits can be paid entry to keep things fresh like the Tate Modern which also maintains a flow of income.

hels
    Free Member

“moves are afoot” – hardly.

The BBC runs a piece on the 10 year anniversary of free entry and looks at a few European museums for comparison.

It would require changes to legislation to restore charging, I think ?

Flaperon

No. Smaller museums can’t compete for the money and end up second-rate in comparison. As an example of museum charging done properly, look at the SS Great Britain in Bristol or the Roman Baths in, uh, Bath.

* Notable exception to all this is the London Transport Museum, which took my £10 and served me with a 4 hour propaganda spiel from Ken Livingstone (mayor at the time).

nickjb
    Free Member

Donation boxes don’t always work that well:

/Visitors-Bristol-s-M-shed-leave-just-9p/

RustySpanner

Bolton Museum is most excellent.

As well as the usual stuffed animals, artistic and cultural exhibits, it’s got a SNES in a glass case, complete with a copy of ‘Mario Kart’.

Makes me feel very old. 😐

Almost as bad as the Welsh Slate Museum in Llanberis:
    They’ve got four miners cottages decorated in various styles – the one depicting the 50’s/60’s has the same wallpaper, lino and kitchen fittings as the house I grew up in. 🙁

jonspaker
    Free Member

Museums should be free of noise! there should be a great peace and people use to visit at museums to have knowledge or education purpose. They activities would be like as they are in library, not like as they are in Auditorium.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

museum dedicated to telling the stories of how

+

For someone with zero interest in wars, I thought it was really fascinating and very well put together.

=
    What museums should be about. Some of the ones I’ve been in recently have been laid out like shops where you can’t actually buy stuff.

National Trust(s) places? Some of their entrance charges are prohibitive if you’re not well off.

We have NTS and Historic Scotland memberships which are about £11/mth for both for two people and give free entry at the door to all their properties. Excellent value

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Should museums be free?’ is closed to new replies.