Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Should I rigidify and singlespeed my old bike?
  • Andy-R

phil5556 – Member
    Cheers OCB, I’m looking for something around the 470mm length now after doing a bit of reading and having a quick measure of mine earlier.

29er forks seem to be about the right length, I’ve got my eye on some Singular Hummingbird ones but think they might be a bit short.

Hummingbird/Gryphon forks are 445mm a/c and are designed to be used with a 29” wheel – because of this they also have 55mm of offset. Swift forks are 470mm a/c but are also 55mm offset.
    Most 26” rigid forks seem to be around 38-42mm offset.

You could always fit the Hummingbird forks and pick up a 29” front wheel. That would be even better.

Andy-R

Looking at the Hummingbird forks on ebay – the ad. is a bit misleading as they are not “suspension corrected” forks as it says. In fact, the whole point is that they’re not suspension corrected. The Hummingbird was never designed to use suspension forks with a 29” wheel, nor was the Gryphon. They were bikes purely designed to use rigid forks.
    They (the forks) have a lot of offset, to reduce the trail with the 29” wheel.
    The Hummingbird, set up as a rigid 69er is, in my book at least, a handling legend. Probably the best handling bike that I’ve ever ridden.

The guy says that he’s the selling frame as well as the forks but I couldn’t find it……..

Bez

I was about to start investigating my cranks and see if I could leave just a single chain ring on it, but didn’t want to come off. The thread stripped with ease

Did you remember to remove the washer before inserting the puller? That’s the usual way to strip an Octalink crank…

phil5556

Did you remember to remove the washer before inserting the puller? That’s the usual way to strip an Octalink crank…

Yeah washer was off on both arms. I’ve given up trying to get them off, if I do ever need to I think it’ll be a job for the hacksaw and replace everything.

I’ve taken off the chainrings (cut the small one with a Dremel to split it) and am going to ride it around as 1×9 until I decide on a gear.

What sort of chain ring do I need? I’d guess at a narrow wide but currently using a 9 speed chain, which I presume won’t be compatible?

Probably looking for 36T and 104Bcd.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Narrow wide not needed for singlespeed.

If you get a 3/32 chainring the 9speed chain will be fine.

nedrapier

keep seeing this thread and thinking that if we have “rigidify” we should have a little more on “singlespeed”

should I rigidify and singlespeedebee my old bike?

montgomery
    Free Member

Surly forks – the sus-corrected Ogre might be the one for you. I’ve been running the Instigator 1.0 forks on various (26″) bikes for over 10 years.

phil5556

nedrapier – Member
    keep seeing this thread and thinking that if we have “rigidify” we should have a little more on “singlespeed”

should I rigidify and singlespeedebee my old bike?

😀 Ha, too late to edit 🙁

phil5556

montgomery – Member
    Surly forks – the sus-corrected Ogre might be the one for you. I’ve been running the Instigator 1.0 forks on various (26″) bikes for over 10 years.

They look ideal, bit expensive unless I can find some secondhand.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Phil i’d stainless steel chainrimg.

15notes at on one. Dont forget you need shorter chainring bolts

phil5556

I’ve ordered a 36T narrow wide (and some shorter bolts) incase I keep it 9 speed.

If it ends up SS I’ll get the on one ring, it does look nice.

phil5556

It’s half way there. It’s now 1×9 (tbh I might keep it that way) and has some Schwalbe Big Ben 2.35 tyres.

And because everyone likes a photo

And this one shows the funky reflective sides on the tyres

(Excuse the state of the lounge).

Still looking for a cheap fork.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Should I rigidify and singlespeed my old bike?’ is closed to new replies.