Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Should I ride with Manflu?
  • Longarmedmonkey

Okay, Wife at work (list of jobs she left completed), kids at friends house. Probably my last chance for a ride before going back to work on Monday. My problem? Woke up with the much maligned Manflu.

A quick Google-bash and I find evidence that it will either make things better or worse, depending on who you believe.

I seek more informed opinions!

ransos
    Free Member

I tried it the other week – attempted a long road ride and had to give up at 55 miles. Ended up being properly poorly after that. If you’re set on going for a ride, make it something easy.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

No. Going from friends advice who play professional football, they seem to think it can do more damage than good.

camo16
    Free Member

First, what level manflu have you reached: the ‘she-doesn’t-realise-how-terrible-I-feel sweat/shivers’ or the ‘seriously-I’m-going-to-die-while-she’s-watching-Homes-Under-The-Hammer’ shakes?

Advice can only be proferred once the extent of manflu is understood.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Been there done that and really regretted it!! Put me back a lot longer than having a few days off.

grum
    Free Member

You’ll end up spending more time off the bike in total if you do IME.

Trimix
    Free Member

You can go for an easy ride – no problem, but try to push it and it will be very hard and make you worse.

I did a lap of Cwn Carn a while ago with a cold, second lap I actually had to get off and push one hill ! Not done that for years. Flats and DH bits were fine, just couldnt get air in my mucus filled lungs so although my mind said pedal, my body said NO.

Id say go for a gentle ride.

mudshark
    Free Member

Last year I went for a ride with a mild cold, by the end I was feeling quite rough. The next day it had become bronchitis and stayed for 2 or 3 weeks.

unklehomered
    Free Member

No – You’ll die.

Actually I discovered a miracle cure last year, pickle chilis and Stianburn black.

carlosg
    Free Member

Above the neck you’ll be fine below the neck stop home and have a hot toddy/fettle the bike.
    FWIW I am also home with manflu , felt a bit rough on Tue but by yesterday morning felt like death was on it’s way but had to man up to clean up after poorly kids (8 + 2). Fitted some new brake levers to the big lads bike and got beaten up by the little one.

Basil

No don’t go!
    Had a long standing plan for a ride and went with a cold.
    Made cold last another two weeks and felt much much worst

Longarmedmonkey

Thanks all, I did get ready, pootled out along the roads and then when faced with the cold wind and the big hill to the woods, I turned round.

LEMSIP and Skyfall – that’s my afternoon.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Garry_Lager

The fact that you’re considering it suggests light man-flu. So if it’s just a headcold and a bit of an ague then I might go for an easy ride. Cheer you up and feels surprisingly OK once you’re moving. Wouldn’t try anything arduous at all, just a turn of the pedals on some easy trails.

ETA – See you gave it a go – sounds like the right decision to pack it in if you were feeling rough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Should I ride with Manflu?’ is closed to new replies.