• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Should I go to minor injuries?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

On Saturday I managed to run into a door while dicking about and smacked my knee on it, it hurt like hell and swelled up straight away, it was then painful and difficult to bend, but I put that down to the swelling. It felt better yesterday although still swollen I could bend it, however this morning it’s really sore. I can bend it and it doesn’t hurt if I poke it, but is painful to move. Ordinarily I’d just go to MIU to get it checked, but as it’s half term I’ve got the children and don’t want to make them sit in a waiting room for several hours just to be told to rest it and it’ll get better! So should I continue to see how it goes or get it checked?

wallop

They’ll only tell you what you already know, and give you nothing more than paracetamol, I should imagine 😆

giantalkali
    Free Member

Fitting that somebody named Wallop should advise you. He probably knows best…

Jamie
    Free Member

Isn’t he a she?

thecaptain
    Free Member

MIU as in Man It Up seems most appropriate here. Of course if it was a working day then no harm pulling a sickie but not worth wasting holiday over!

JEngledow
    Free Member

not worth wasting holiday over!

😆

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go,not with how you describe your symptoms any way, but thats me. I’d probably wait a few more days. If it didn’t improve I’d go and see my GP before visiting the hell thats my local AE.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Iberprofin and compression would be my solution. I would remove the compression if sitting for a long period and elevate.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d probably go and get it checked, maybe make a GP appointment as you’ve waited a couple of days already at least you should have less of a wait at the GPs.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

this thread needs pics No.

wwaswas

you should have less of a wait at the GPs

*hollow laughter*

But yes, GP – they’ll refer you on to someone who can do a diagnosis if they feel it necessary.

fatoldgit

You could try going to speak to the pharmacist at your local chemist.

They may well be able to advise an over the counter product to ease the swelling and pain,

Saves everyone time, and they can advise if MIU is more appropriate

kayak23

R.I.C.E is what you want.
    Basmati works well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could try going to speak to the pharmacist at your local chemist. They may well be able to advise an over the counter product to ease the swelling and pain,Saves everyone time, and they can advise if MIU is more appropriate

Come on now you are just being daft. A pharmacist is there to help with have a got a cold or chest infection. No Pharmacist is going to start commenting on a leg injury.

OP you need to decide if its just a bit swollen and ouchy or if its potentially a bone or soft tissue injury.

Personally I wouldn’t an MIU. If you think its more than just a bump you need a proper knee examination, which either your GP or A&E can do. Also if you go near an MIU it will potentially need x-ray, and then review at hospital. No disrespect, but having been to MIU they have always diagnosed injuries incorrectly, and this is also the view of an orthopaedic surgeon

JEngledow
    Free Member

Update: I didn’t bother with MIU and instead spent most of the day sat on the floor playing with lego (I even let the kids join in 😆 ).

It’s still bloody sore and swolen, but if i poke about there’s no specific pain so I don’t think there’s a fracture, which was my biggest worry, so I’ll see how it goes and book a GP appointment if it’s no better next week!

Also if you go near an MIU it will potentially need x-ray, and then review at hospital.

Our local MIU is in the small local hospital and has it’s own X-ray so not as useless as others!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s not just about having X-ray it’s about someone who knows how to review it.

Eg both the radiographer and nurse missed my latest broken wrist. Only when reviewed by the orthopaedic surgeon at big hospital was it picked up.

Not uncommon apparently

wallop

Isn’t he a she?

Yes, yes he is 😆

Drac

Personally I wouldn’t an MIU. If you think its more than just a bump you need a proper knee examination, which either your GP or A&E can do. Also if you go near an MIU it will potentially need x-ray, and then review at hospital. No disrespect, but having been to MIU they have always diagnosed injuries incorrectly, and this is also the view of an orthopaedic surgeon

MIU can do knee examinations, I can do them too it’s not a difficult skill. Many MIU will do x-rays too and then refer them via virtual clinic for examination, which a GP can’t do.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Should I go to minor injuries?’ is closed to new replies.