• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mm93.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Should I get a full-suss (Giant) or stick with my hardtail?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I used to have a 2003 S-works Enduro but sold that when I became a roadie but kept my 26″ Cotic Soul. Feeling the urge to mtb more now, I mostly just used my Soul even when I had the full-suss – riding in the Surrey Hills. Things have moved on a lot and thinking of getting a new bike, though only if I get a full-suss, but do I really just want a new toy I don’t need? I do like the Giant Trance and Anthem bikes, so reckon I’d get one of those, probably an Anthem would be most appropriate as was happy with my Soul most of the time when I did mtb a lot so don’t need a lot of travel.

Maybe I just need to regain my skillz as at the moment I get left behind on the technical stuff – they’ve all got bigger bikes with big wheels, tyres and travel….

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that being quick on a hardtail prepares you to be quick on a full sus. I see people that I know have only ever had suspension and seem to use it mostly to make landings etc. that would otherwise have them on their arse, or face.

Yeah there are better bikes now than only a few years ago. That doesn’t mean your Cotic is not as as good as it ever was. I say ride it and nail those mad skillz, man. When the Cotic is actually holding you back then look at something else.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s unlikely the Soul’s holding you back, I did a local ‘DH’* race on mine earlier this year and didn’t come last and I was quicker than some of the fellas. Starry bra, etc… 😆

If you want a new bike, buy a new bike 😀

* in inverted commas because although, technically, the start of the race was higher up than the finish, it really couldn’t be called a DH.

digger95
    Free Member

a 29er hardtail will do as much for speed as a 29er fulsus will IME. The fulsus ‘justification’ is mostly climbing traction and reduced fatigue from long / rocky rides. Or because you want a new bling machine! 120m 29er hardtail would suit the surrey hills trails I’ve been on.

chestrockwell

650b is good, 29″ is good, so is full suss, so are hardtails. I can’t pick between my FS and HT right now as I have them both set up how I like ’em.

You really need to get out and try a few, only way to know.

jekkyl

mudshark
    Free Member

Because my garage feels a bit rammed with bikes mostly.

Maybe I could put the wife’s one somewhere else?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

a 29er hardtail will do as much for speed as a 29er fulsus will IME. The fulsus ‘justification’ is mostly climbing traction and reduced fatigue from long / rocky rides. Or because you want a new bling machine! 120m 29er hardtail would suit the surrey hills trails I’ve been on.

Single biggest piece of bollocks I’ve ever read on STW, fastest DH hardtails were over 30 seconds slower on short UK dh tracks last time I checked.

You let off the brakes properly on a hardtail and there is eventually a limit where you don’t have enough chassis stability, grip and every square edged hit is sucking speed out of you – thats coming from someone who rode bmx and hardtails for years.

Sure, there is probably not much in it in the surrey hills but its not just about comfort. I don’t buy hardtails making you a better rider either, if anything they made me lazy in terms of jumping where you have to exagerate everything more on a full susser.

mm93
    Free Member

I think he wants you to get the giant ! 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Should I get a full-suss (Giant) or stick with my hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.