Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Should I fit aftermarket electric windows? T5 content
  • sharkattack

A piece of the manual winding mechanism in my VW T5 has shattered. The part itself is not available and you need to buy the whole lot for loads of money etc etc… That’s beside the point.

I’m wondering if it’s worth buying a kit like this- LINK
    It’s not much more expensive than the parts to fix my manual peasant windows.

An expensive way to fill my van with unreliable tat? Or a reliable and legitimate upgrade?

It would certainly make climbing over the passenger seat to pay for French toll roads a whole lot easier. But I don’t want to bother if they’ll blow up.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Why don’t you just get a ‘new’ manual winder from the scrappy. Seems like the cheap way to do it.

sharkattack

I could do that but any excuse for an upgrade. I think they’ll be worth every penny if they work. Just hoping for some real world experience if available.

maxtorque

Are the looms in the doors there already? Often they are, so a couple of OEM winder mechs, pair of switches, and a fuse from a breakers and you’ve got an OEM solution!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you already have heated wing mirrors?

mattbee

I’ve got aftermarket ‘eBay’ windows in mine.
    They are electric windows, ey work just fine, if a little on the aggressive side speed wise. Don’t have one touch lowering/raising but do have control for both driver & passenger on drivers side.
    Switches fitted in same place as oem but they aren’t the same style.
    I didn’t fit them, a local conversion co did, paid £180 fitted.
    If you don’t go ahead with them I do have all of the mechanical gubbins that was removed, if you email me a pic of what’s broken on yours if I’ve got it you can have it for beer money.

sharkattack

Are the looms in the doors there already?

Don’t think so, not in my billy basic spec.

Often they are, so a couple of OEM winder mechs, pair of switches, and a fuse from a breakers and you’ve got an OEM solution!

We do have a local VAG breakers yard but I haven’t had a chance to visit them yet.

Do you already have heated wing mirrors?

No.

if you email me a pic of what’s broken on yours if I’ve got it you can have it for beer money.

I’ll send a pic when I can locate the part!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If resale bothers you, I’d rather have original fitness windows than aftermarket, non oem stuff fitted to my van.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Should I fit aftermarket electric windows? T5 content’ is closed to new replies.