Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Should I Enduro?
  • Stupid.is
    Free Member

I have come to a fork in the road in that a change in job means that for the first time in a while I can justify buying myself a shiny new bike. The dilemma I am having is not what bike but rather this.

Should I start racing Enduro?

So some background. I am based in the Southwest and have done a couple of mini enduro races in the past and have enjoyed it along with the normal mix if trail riding, XC racing and Endurance races (24/12). Now I have a Scandal 29er HT which I am very happy with for the few XC races I do, but I will admit I don’t take them seriously at all as most of my competitive streak happens when running, but still enjoy MTB racing.

Why Enduro? Because it looks fun, I enjoy technical riding and the social aspect appeals.

So why do you guys race Enduro?

eyestwice
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat as you. I used to race xc (back in my teens). I now do a fair amount of fell running and am definitely more ‘running fit’ than ‘bike fit’. I much prefer technical riding to xc these days so am planning to try a few enduro races next year, once I’ve got my bike legs back a bit more.

Not sure if that helps?!

Northwind

I do it entirely for the fun of it- the best races I’ve done have been some of my best days ever on a bike (*). Often takes you to new trails, too, that’s good.

As far as taking it seriously, I’m an also-ran but I do like to do as well as I can… Whether that means trying to get a few more places, or just riding crazy mad stuff faster than I would usually. But I’m pretty happy to be so far off the pace tbh, a couple of times I’ve been in a small class where I could actually get a result and I really didn’t dig it! More fun up the back. I don’t know how far this is just me, but being an also-ran in DH I mostly just felt like a knobber, and generally in endurance XC you’re only there to pay entrance fees so that the actual racers can do their thing.

(* the worst enduro I’ve ever done was a really terrible day on the bike, mind, and that was just practice, wild horses wouldn’t have got me to do the same boring stages again the next day…)

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I also fancying trying my hand as something new to try, but fully expect to be completely useless at it. Good to hear it can be enjoyable at the back!

Euro
    Free Member

Everyone should be dancing the Enduro. For no other reason than you get to mention it on every post. Nothing impresses the ladies more than casually dropping the ‘yeah, well i race enduro’ line.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I think being an also ran in XC is a bit more demoralising specially if you get lapped/pulled. I have a older Camber 29er that will do for min so does anyone have any race recommendations that I have a go at that is not to far from Devon?

Everyone should be dancing the Enduro

Someone needs to choreograph this and create a looping GIF!

Northwind

Ashy – Member

I also fancying trying my hand as something new to try, but fully expect to be completely useless at it. Good to hear it can be enjoyable at the back!

Well. As long as you can basically do it- it’s possibly less fun if you spent all day crashing your brains out. Though I’ve seen people really get off on that- just the whole “this is ridiculous, I wouldn’t do this normally” thing. That’s what hooked me- I was really lucky to get in on day 1 when really nobody knew what it even was, it was carnage but I think everyone who survived really enjoyed it. The number of people who said “I’ve never done the downhill trails, that’s not for me” then rode it and had a blast…

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Northwind: While I am happy on steep loose stuff and smaller drops I have not been one for major stuff. Do you think its worth getting some coaching for the bigger stuff like drops etc? Do the courses even have things like double in them?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Nothing impresses the ladies more than casually dropping the ‘yeah, well i race enduro’ line.

‘I have a large willy*’ works better, in my humble experience.

*Whether this is a fib or not is relatively immaterial.

riklegge

If you enjoyed the mini Enduro events you have done, go for it. I’m another back marker / mid pack (depending on the race) but enjoy the more technical trails and riding new stuff that you would not normally be allowed to ride.

Having said that, I’ve lost my racing mojo a bit this year, and have decided to spend the money doing more uplift days instead.

Northwind

Stupid.is – Member

Do you think its worth getting some coaching for the bigger stuff like drops etc? Do the courses even have things like double in them?

I can only think of a couple of mandatory drops in all the time I’ve been racing. Loads of times where there’s alt lines or where dropping a thing is faster or easier than rolling though, and some very scary wheels-on-ground stuff. The scottish races tend towards the steep and tech rather than big features etc, maybe not everyone is like that though.

TBH even downhill can generally be done wheels on the ground if you really want to.

moonsaballoon

I do and I love it , only 3 or 4 a year and am normally about 3/4 of the way down the field but it has definitely made me a better rider and gives me a reason to ride the turbo in the winter . I normally ride them on my own as none as my mates fancy it but I always end up talking to someone as they tend to be pretty laid back affairs .
    I did a skills course after my first race and would recommend it to anyone even if you don’t race .
    I always get a horrible feeing at the top of the first stage like what the hell am I doing this for followed by pure joy and massive grins at the bottom when i go I can do this !

Stupid.is
    Free Member

That’s for this guys!

I have to admit that it’s the social side that appeals. You can’t really have a chat to another race when your both blowing out your a**!

Where are we with regards full face helmets?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@Northwind-I’m usually top 25ish% on strava round the trail centre/natural descents I’ve ridden, and occasionally top 10%. I know that doesn’t really mean anything but hopefully demonstrates I’m reasonable at the more technical riding?? I don’t know how enduro trails compare to a red or black run at a Trail Centre.

jam-bo

@Northwind-I’m usually top 25ish% on strava round the trail centre/natural descents I’ve ridden, and occasionally top 10%

Me too, but I’m firmly in the bottom 50% at any enduro race I’ve done.

riklegge

Where are we with regards full face helmets?

Depends on the races, usually the smaller events (PMBA etc) they are not compulsory, but at the national events I think they were.

Personally I take both helmets, ride in my normal lid for practice and if I think I want the extra protection I’ll take it for the race runs.

I’ve never come across drops / gaps that you have to ride, but sometimes where it’s quicker or a better line. If you ride at some of the locations where the races are held it will give a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I have found that the PMBA and Welsh Enduro series events have been good fun with a few technical stages (the last welsh one at Foel Gasnach in particular was a bit slippy!) and they generally help push you to ride stuff a bit faster than on a normal ride.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@jam bo, I fully expect to be in the bottom 10% the pack! It just looks like it could be a laugh and something a bit different.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Northwind-I’m usually top 25ish% on strava round the trail centre/natural descents I’ve ridden, and occasionally top 10%
    Me too, but I’m firmly in the bottom 50% at any enduro race I’ve done.

The 25% on strava above you are the guys and girls you’re racing against. Which has seen me in the fight for the wooden spoon in the ones I’ve done

kayla1
    Free Member

I like the idea of riding trails you might not (ordinarily) be able to ride so we’ve entered a couple this year for the first time.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Welsh Gravity Enduro series and one’s in October are all trail centres. Do you use additional trails or it is just a mix of the usual sections? I’m getting very curious now. 🙂

kiksy
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Welsh Gravity Enduro series and one’s in October are all trail centres. Do you use additional trails or it is just a mix of the usual sections?

The mashup Welsh ones are normal trail centre trails. At the last one in Cwmcarn they removed the mx gates to link a few sections together into one stage.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@thestabiliser-did you enjoy it though?!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was top 20% in the only enduro I’ve done, until I had a quad snakebite on the 4th stage.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Not the first one, was a STEEP learning curve. Once I was “at one” with my shitness I did Enjoy the second and improved (marginally)

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Hmmm, sounds like the sort of thing that might be good to enter with a mate. A slower mate. Just need to rope someone in. 😆

Stupid.is
    Free Member

This all sounds great. 🙂

I think I will try and get up to one of the Welsh Mix Up Enduro’s in October as a taster and see how it goes!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do it, it can be the most fun on the day*. Raced a few at various levels and places and in the end it’s a ride where you will (should) be pushed a bit at least on the liason’s and then hammer down the fun bits, very few if any compulsory drops or gaps right the way up the scale (and in some ways there will always or should always be a b line)
    There is however a big difference between riding fast and racing fast. It’s a head game really once you have the skills and fitness and will teach you a lot about managing time and your body.

*may only appear fun with a beer in hand after the bike has been put away if it rains for the entire day turning the fresh tracks to slop and making you look drowned on stage 2/7

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Should I Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.