Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Should I buy some carbon wheels for the road bike?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Picked up a used road bike the other day and the guy offered me a set of 58mm carbon wheels (trigon) which I didn’t buy at the time but I’m wondering if they are worth grabbing to try.

Price-wise at 250quid, and from what I can see on eBay for used wheels, they are neither cheap or expensive, I’m just not sure as I’ve never ridden carbon wheels, anyone have any views?

Current wheels on the bike mavic cosmic elite.

Rorschach
    Free Member

At nearly 60mm they are unlikely to be any lighter than the Mavics.The braking will be poor in the wet (cue people saying their carbon rims are better in the wet than ali ones).Being ,I assume, an older narrow profile they will suffer badly in crosswinds.
    Go spend the £’s on coke and hookers.
    Full disclosure-I run 45mm carbon rims on mine.

scruff9252

At 58mm they sound a bit deep for day to day use. Will.look quite bling though, if that’s your thing…

Braking in the wet can be an issue – depends on the braking surface / wheels. My road bike is shod in 38mm (a depth I’d recommend, naturally) and has bassalt braking surface. Stops really well, even in the wet but chews through brake pads frequently.

My TT bike has natural, smooth carbon brake surface – that has poor stopping power at the best of times, least of all the wet!

onandon
    Free Member

Buy them, try them and you’ll get your money back if you don’t like them.
    No risk – you may even make a few quid.

legend
    Free Member

Struggling to find much info on Trigon wheels, they aren’t tubs are they?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Alu braking surface on them. From what I can see on the inter web, not much info on them, 100g lighter than the magics.

The wind issue is a concern for me, 99% of my rides are on a coast road. Even today it’s gusting 18knots and it’s not that windy really for here.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Clinchers. These are them…

Trigon Bicycles

Apparently it’s the factory that make Zipp.

leebaxter
    Free Member

They will be a downgrade in terms of performance, in most circumstances. However they look fly,and will gain you a few seconds on a still flat day.

pinder318
    Free Member

Carbon is a nicer ride but as said above you need soft brake pads for better braking which need replacing more. I got a cracking deal on some Reynolds attack second hand and hardly used for 250 because the seller spelt Reynolds wrong. But for the price there offered at as long as the true you could try then sell on or swap if you don’t like them so pretty risk free.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Apparently it’s the factory that make Zipp.

Trigon are Taiwan, I thought Zipp made their wheels in the US (ie. actually manufactured their rims and hubs, not just assembled wheels from parts shipped in which is enough to claim “made in X”).

TiRed

I race 60mm carbon wheels. I prefer alloy braking surfaces and the fact that alloy has proven a better rim for tubeless set up (hello Vittoria Corsa Speeds). That said £250 for a set of carbon deep section wheels I good value. Try them. Just don’t expect to stop as quickly!

There will be little in it weight wise.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy some carbon wheels for the road bike?’ is closed to new replies.