Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Should I buy one today? splash the cash on a stem
  • withersea
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Nice but total bling 😉 No funtional advantage so your buying it for looks only – if you got a lot of other cabon bit like bars etc then will look very nice I am sure – "my motto is life is too short – if you can afford it then you'll have no regrets" 🙂

withersea
    Free Member

I think you've just convinced me to put away my wallet!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Think of all the jaffa cakes you could buy for £80! 😯

wwaswas

an argument for the stem there, I think…

Coleman
    Free Member

Only if you want one.
    They are cheapest at Merlin at the mo. I run them on my bikes and have had no problems. Trouble is you'll need the seatpost as well to match!

foxyrider
    Free Member

That wasn't my intention 🙂 Its just your reasons for buying it are presumably:

1. Looks nice (i.e. Bling)
    2. Bit Lighter that your alloy? one?
    3. Retail Therapy?

Gowan if you wannit, buy it 🙂 I can't talk as I just bought an Ultegra groupset 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I put a bonty carbon stem on my full sus

i spent the entire time pooing my pants and paranoid about the slightest mark on it. I sent it back in the end as i just didn't trust it.

and they are £120!

I'd have one on my road bike though

richc
    Free Member

anyone else find Merlins new site virtually unusable?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Tis no worse than their old one as that was pretty naff 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

I find it OK. In fact too easy, as I keep buying things on it.

withersea
    Free Member

it's not as nice as the old one – the site that is

re. the stem,just bought myself a nice trek ex and them the rxl stem looks like an after thought – was going to replace it with a thomson – but saw this as an alternative…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gowan Gowan Gowan 🙂 you'll only buy it next week – and its in their money off at the mo 🙂

richc
    Free Member

a thomson or a sunline would look nicer and be cheaper though

KINGTUT
    Free Member

re. the stem,just bought myself a nice trek ex and them the rxl stem looks like an after thought – was going to replace it with a thomson – but saw this as an alternative…

Thomson stems are heavy and overpriced (relatively), I'd go for the Ritchey or if you are a weenie and want to spend a little less than the Ritchey look at the KCNC SC Wing.

njee20
    Free Member

I had one of those Ritchey WCS Carbon ones, to replace an alu one, it was nice, but not that light and disappointingly flexy.

The Bontrager ones are really heavy, often 30-40% more than claimed! They're very stiff mind.

I now use New Ultimate, 100g, full ti hardware, comes in black or white, and £70. Finish is better than the Ritchey alu ones too, the writing rubs of those far too easily IME. And they're unusual.

withersea
    Free Member

njee20 sounds like a nice stem – let me google…

sofatester
    Free Member

Spend the £80 on a trip somewhere very hilly and rocky.

After one steep rocky decent you will forget about "lightweight" stems forever!

njee20
    Free Member

Google won't show much sadly, I import them 🙂

What length/colour are you after? May be able to sort out a very sensible price!

withersea
    Free Member

90mm white with rise less than 10

withersea
    Free Member

oh and cheers for the offer-much appreciated

KINGTUT
    Free Member

After one steep rocky decent you will forget about "lightweight" stems forever!

Why?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy one today? splash the cash on a stem’ is closed to new replies.