Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Should I buy a motorbike?
  • juan
    Free Member

btw woody you got mail…

Northwind

Gravitysucks… The SV isn’t brilliant for big lads. I’ve known a few proper giants who ride them and do seem to get on OK though. Bear off of SV650.org is a bloody monolith of a man and used to ride a pointy SV650S, he looked a bit odd mind :mrgreen: Go and have a sit on as many bikes as you can. Sporty-ish bikes don’t cater all that well to big folk though.

andyruss
    Free Member

I passed my test many years ago and bought a gsxr 750 as my first bike.I was stationed in Germany with the military police at the time.Within 3-4 months I would patrol our area on a police bike.I travelled all over europe on my 750 following Carl foggerty at super bike events.On moving back to the uk I had a raced tuned ducati superlite and a bimota db2,in all my time on these bikes I was never out of my depth or control.Buying what ever bike is a personal choice because an arsehole on a small powered bike is still an arsehole.You can learn on a big bike just use your common sense .something lacking here maybe.As for experiance many miles or years dont always make a good rider

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What a childish bunch of tags.

Northwind – I have seen the difficulties and dangers of people attempting to learn to ride on big sports bikes many times. This is why I am so against it – as are all the bikers I know.

the_lecht_rocks

go and learn on the track mate.

safer, faster, with motorcycle comprehension in a non-diluted environment.

then you’ll not want to ride the over-crowded, badly surfaced, over populated, cage driving idiot queens highway.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Did I see a request for piccies amongst the *advice*? Here’s mine:

MOD: Link removed due to malware

My route to biking; I did a CBT which my wife gave me for a birthday present. I then rode a Suzuki RG125 for a year, this gave me a foundation in road sense. I then did a 3 day DAS (the rules I think just changed so I did this so as not to be restricted) and passed my test on an unrestricted 600cc. Looking back I think my most sensible decision was to ride for a year as a learner…

My advice, if you want to do it then do it, I haven’t regretted it for a second

Northwind

TJ- you’re entitled to your opinion of course but you don’t get to claim it’s everyone else’s, that’s all. Speak for yourself, don’t speak for me or others.

solamanda
    Free Member

My pair…

I think this debate is focusing too much on power. The handling difference is a key issue for what bike is going to be a better choice for a new rider. A sports bike requires much more technique to ride well than a ‘soft’ bike like a Hornet, ER6 or SV650. A friends Ducati S4R is far softer and more forgiving to ride over my Aprilia despite having similar power. Bikes like a fazer or hornet 1000 have nearly the same usable power as their sports bike equivalent using the same engine but are going to be alot easier to handle as a novice.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a motorbike?’ is closed to new replies.