Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Should I buy a Canyon Endurace or is a disc version around the corner?
  • mosschops
    Free Member

Thinking about a Canyon Endurance 8.0

Very tempted by the 7.6kg weight Enduranceish geometry Will be my first road bike

Always nervous about the “no ride before you buy” but customer service seems good And I can always send back, although experiences of Canyon appreciated

So now my paranoia turns to the fact a disc version is waiting in the wings – should I wait till that appears or get this and have a summer of riding ?

Any other options around this price and weight ? Its £1299 and 7.6kg

Views welcomed!

ta

MC

siwhite
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy anything without discs nowadays…

wilburt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy anything with disc’s anyday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So now my paranoia turns to the fact a disc version is waiting in the wings – should I wait till that appears or get this

if you want discs yes, if you’re not bothered, no.

7.6kg weight

It’ll be more than that with discs, if that’s important to you.

mosschops
    Free Member

thanks for the replies folks

Good point on disc bike weighing more and I think that is important to me – recognise not entirely rational

Guess I’ll be doing more research before pulling the trigger so any experiences of Canyon generally or Endurace bike specifically appreciated

MC

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

In your situation I think I’d buy something else that does have discs that I could ride now. They seem pretty sensible for general sportive/4-season use. Missing a summer of riding to wait for a particular brand of bike to get disc brakes seems less sensible to me. When it comes down to it, bikes are pretty similar really, riding’s more important.

mattbee

Hmmm. I thought I’d never have a bike without discs again.
    Built a winter cx/road/mooching bike last year, 38mm tyres with full mudguards and disc brakes was fantastic on the filthy crud strewn country lanes around Hants and West Sussex. Brakes are brilliant, with no fear of not stopping in wet conditions. I never locked a wheel but then again I never had to squeeze the lever as if it was trying to escape either.
    My eyes were turned at an early season sportive by all the lovely shiny looking ‘proper’ road bikes and I have built a shiny 7.5kg Bianchi with rim brakes. I’d struggle to get down to that sort of weight with discs and still be able to afford to eat.
    Shimano sti with Bianchi branded FSA calipers, alu rims and the standard pads. I haven’t really noticed the braking being worse, although I’ve not ridden it in proper wet weather. I was actually surprised how good the rim brakes are if I’m honest as my memories are of much poorer braking than that (last road bike I owned other than my 1977 LE Jeune with Mafac/Weinmann brakes which are obviously awful was in the early ’00s).
    Basically, a month ago o would have said that I would be wary of buying a rim braked road bike but now? I’d say if you will ride it all year, or even just in the better months with a winter hack, don’t worry about it. Plus the Endurace is a nice looking bike at a good price in my opinion…

rOcKeTdOg

That canyon isn’t the prettiest bike is it?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends if you want to sit around looking at it or not. From the saddle, most road bikes look very similar.

eshershore
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get too hung up on disc brakes..

I had a hydraulic disc brake bike last season

I now have a caliper brake bike

I rode home last night in a frightening storm with torrential rain and gusting wind. I had no issues with braking (running swisstop blue pads), it was more challenging staying upright in the wind.

I honestly cannot say I miss the disc brakes on the road bike? I have a mountain bike with hydraulic discs and have been using discs on MTBs since mid 90’s

rOcKeTdOg

Depends if you want to sit around looking at it or not. From the saddle, most road bikes look very similar.

I think the fact that you won’t know how it rides until it turns up means how it looks is a big part of buying a canyon

wilburt
    Free Member

I imagine the reason theres so much difference of opinion is because we use bikes in different ways. Here in East Anglia despite riding with two large clubs with hundreds of riders I’ve seen one disc road bike in the last year. Plenty of aeroroads and 50mm carbon wheels though but nobody is looking for improved braking especially if it means incompatibility between bikes.

If you live in Halifax and want a bike to ride all year round, perhaps inncluding a bit of commuting then discs are more attractive option.

Whatever you need I would buy it now, there will always be something else just around the corner.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I have disc brakes on my cx bike that I use as my commuter and 105 rim brakes on my road bike used for fair weather rides. Having got on the road bike again after about 5 months of winter commuting I couldn’t believe how much better the rim brakes were than the discs in all but the wettest weather. That said though the roads are so covered in grit and rubbish here that discs are definitely the best option for wet weather if only to avoid needing to replace worn rims frequently.

I think if it was going to be my only bike then I’d probably get something with hydraulic discs but they’re not the be all and end all in my experience.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I think the Canyon is rather nice, quite understated. As for brakes, can only echo whats above, nothing wrong with rim brakes in the right circumstances. I’ve just bought a new road bike which does have discs but I’ve no qualms about replacing my nice road bike with another with rim brakes(in fact its highly likely). I think the issue is knocked up the pecking order of whats important round here, maybe because its mountain bikers looking at road bikes as if they were mountain bikes.

ernie

September to December I was riding my Cannondale SuperX with ultegra disc brakes – this was my daily commute bike and I loved it. I started using this bike after I broke my finger and could not manage with the brakes on the normal commute bike (Kinesis TK). I’m now back on the Kinesis and have just had to replace both rims through worn braking surface. Based on my annual mileage and the conditions on the road I’m replacing rims every year. From now on: disc brakes.

joeegg
    Free Member

Have a look at Rose bikes as well. They have some nice specced disc brake road bikes in the marathon category.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

My posh road bike is rim brakes and I’ve treated it to TWO sets of carbon wheels – aero and lightweight 😉 Point is I could have bought a decent new, disc equipped bike for the money I spent on the wheels but I love the bike, rim brakes and all.

My commuter has cable discs because that’s what they specced. As Joe says, to dyed in the Merino wool roadies disc are heresy, I turned up to a club meet on it and got the weirdest looks, whereas discs seem the obvious choice to mtbers.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You could maybe have a look at the geometry and work it out from stuff you’ve already ridden?

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not feeling a compelling personal reason to go for discs, just get that bike and enjoy riding it.

I bought a new rim braked road bike 18 months ago and have no regrets whatsoever.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a Canyon Endurace or is a disc version around the corner?’ is closed to new replies.