Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Should I be offended?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Just had a cracking end of year review, best one ever (hello bonus, hello n+2).

However, one of the critical points was that I have a tendency to “call a spade a shovel”.

I have no idea what they mean in this context, and it was immediately preceding the end of a great review so I didn’t want to spend much time talking about it (they didn’t seem to be bothered that much about it anyway), there is still time for me to comment or ask questions.

My understanding of this phrase (which, to be honest, I don’t hear very often) is that it’s a reference to a (perhaps sometimes blunt) use of plain English.

I work in an industry where, for clients at least, plain English is often hard to come by and is generally desirable.

Am I missing something?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

do you say – “I’m going out on my bike” or “I’m going out on my 2 wheeled vehicle of fun”?

perhaps that’s what they mean?

Drac

To call a spade a shovel isn’t being blunt that would be calling a spade a spade. Unless they got the saying wrong then they’re suggesting your not being honest or open.

wwaswas

genius – managers trying to tell you that you don’t communicate well fail to tell you how you’re failing to communicate in a way you can understand

‘calling a spade a shovel’ seems to me to be you not telling it ‘like it is’ but going round the houses?

hp_source

surely ‘calling a spade a spade’ is being blunt, calling a spade a shovel would be something else?

donsimon
    Free Member

My understanding of this phrase (which, to be honest, I don’t hear very often) is that it’s a reference to a (perhaps sometimes blunt) use of plain English.

You waffle and don’t get to the point?

peterfile
    Free Member

do you say – “I’m going out on my bike” or “I’m going out on my 2 wheeled vehicle of fun”?

See, we would just refer to the latter as being verbose, which is undesirable. I think they were alluding to me being the opposite of verbose at times, maybe a bit quick to the point?

jools182
    Free Member

maybe they are suggesting you don’t make yourself clear?

samuri
    Free Member

I read that as the other way around. If they’d have said you ‘call a spade a spade’ then you should be happy with that. Maybe.

And certainly if someone suggested that I was not using straight English it would bother me. You should ask them what the **** they are talking about.

donsimon
    Free Member

See, we would just refer to the latter as being verbose, which is undersirable. I think they were alluding to me being the opposite of verbose at times, maybe a bit quick to the point?

See?

WackoAK
    Free Member

They were probably just looking for something to say to keep you on your toes to offset the glowing report.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or perhaps they are saying you are argumentative.

Or perhaps they have just mixed up their metaphor.

Drac

I think Don Simon has it.

richmars

You waffle and don’t get to the point?

Isn’t that calling a spade ‘an earth moving implement’

rewski
    Free Member

YES!, Er… I think so, oh I don’t know, what do you guys think?

Everywhen
    Free Member

Is your manager Count Arthur Strong?

samuri
    Free Member

lol

uplink
    Free Member

What they mean is…… we only have shovels but we sold them a spades so we changed its name to match what the thick salesman promised them

….. and you have a habit of still calling it a shovel, get with the program

Garry_Lager

Heard it the other way round myself – a notoriously blunt guy I worked with was described as ‘not been afraid to call a spade a **** shovel’.

allthepies
    Free Member

See, we would just refer to the latter as being verbose, which is undesirable. I think they were alluding to me being the opposite of verbose at times, maybe a bit quick to the point?

You are a troll and I claim my £5.

peterfile
    Free Member

You are a troll and I claim my £5.

😀

Paypal as a gift OK?

Drac

A quick Google suggests it has the same meaning.

Well there you go.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d love to play bullsh*t bingo in a meeting with you.

Are other favourites of yours “step change”, “lets take this offline” etc etc

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d love to play bullsh*t bingo in a meeting with you.

too late, allthepies won

konabunny
    Free Member

was the person using it in the same sense as “spade a spade” (you’re plain spoken/blunt) but making a joke out of it because it’s such a cliche (and completely mangling the message in the process)?

samuri
    Free Member

If you’re being asked to talk a bit more flowery for the more senior staff/clients then my way of viewing this is imagine you’re drawing a picture for someone.

If your audience are expert level individuals with significant technical ability, you will draw using a 4H pencil. The drawing will contain specifics to great detail.

If your audience are middle managers it’s time to get the felt tips out. Include colours to signify different business groups/resources. You can draw lines between things and even, if you think your dealing with exceptional individuals, put arrows on them. No specifics though.

If you’re presenting to senior management you need some of those heavy duty crayons that you hold in your fist and big clumps of wax fall off while you’re drawing. Only use primary colours, do not write anything and avoid lines at all costs. You’ll need smiley and sad faces to show what is good and bad.

HTH.

rewski
    Free Member

Was there an Elephant in the room?

trail_rat
    Free Member

peterfile – i got the same in my end of year review ….

in the same sentence – my boss said its not a bad thing either but just be careful when you apply it.

coming from my boss who is as subtle as a brick through a glass window. 😀

-also said his review from his boss said the same.

MSP

What do you do for a living? If your a groundworker then using a shovel for spade work or using a spade to do a bit of shovelling could be a bit of a problem.

peterfile
    Free Member

What do you do for a living? If your a groundworker then using a shovel for spade work or using a spade to do a bit of shovelling could be a bit of a problem.

I’m on a quango (one that didn’t get canned) which is trying to phase out race linked phrases from common usage.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Maybe your boss was being literal, and you don’t know the difference. Do you sell garden tools?

peterfile
    Free Member

well, i used to work in M&A but now I spend most of my time doing B&Q deals.

konabunny
    Free Member

i think he ran an idea up the flagpole but you didn’t salute it

🙁 poor idea

molgrips
    Free Member

which is trying to phase out race linked phrases from common usage

How does that work then? Some shadowy organisation seeding popular culture with PC language?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

trying to phase out race linked phrases

**tongue very much in cheek**

You don’t have a habit of calling people of afro-caribbean extraction “shovels” do you…?

uplink
    Free Member

I’m on a quango (one that didn’t get canned) which is trying to phase out race linked phrases from common usage.

Do [strike]they[/strike] we really have organisations that do that as their only raison d’etre?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think the OP was being 100% tongue in cheek people!

peterfile
    Free Member

😆

(couldn’t find a tounge in cheek smilie)

oldgit
    Free Member

You’d be hopeless at moving snow?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Should I be offended?’ is closed to new replies.