Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Should I be happy be about moving to Glasgow?
  • menothim
    Free Member

Poised for an imminent relocation to Glasgow this weekend, and will be starting to work from home. I used to live there many years ago – then didn’t and was happy enough not to.

So, is it okay these days? Should I be cheering or slitting my wrists?

I’ll be living Merchant City/Glasgow Green way.

Didn’t ride off-road before, so where to go?

Any Weegie peeps on here?

Thanks.

BoardinBob

Be careful. Glasgow Green isn’t Merchant City. They try to bump property prices up by saying it is. Whereabouts exactly in Glasgow Green?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Should I be happy be about moving to Glasgow?

yes. If you currently live in Afghanistan.
    😉

uplink
    Free Member

Congratulations – you now have the lowest life expectancy in the developed world

menothim
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Brigton end 🙁 But not Brigton itself, I hasten to add.

will
    Free Member

More biking opportunity i say!

Guilliano
    Free Member

I really liked Glasgow when I lived just outside it. The place I lived was horrible though and I’d advise anyone without a local accent to steer clear of Renfrew!!!

BoardinBob

Ah. 😆

You’ve got the pronunciation of Bridgeton right straight away so that’s good. Merchant City ends at High St. Everything east of that is the east end. Fail.

Glasgow’s like any city. Great bits, good bits and some awful bits.

Biking wise there’s loads of stuff that’s easily accessible. Half an hour in the car has you at the start of the highlands and the worlds your oyster.

geoffj

Depends where you are moving from – if its Embra then its a big bad fail.

Smee
    Free Member

Edinburger is a big **** off fail.

Glasgow’s miles better. 😉

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Cheers Guilliano I am originally from Renfrew (Moorpark)

roundwheels
    Free Member

you must have pissed somebody of to be sent to glasgow to work

roundwheels
    Free Member

I am originally from Renfrew (Moorpark)

every body i know that comes form renfrew has move away and doesnt have a go word to say about it ether

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Should I be happy about moving to Glasgow? No!

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Hence Falkirk roundwheels

Pieface

Young Dave Riley – Are you a Spacedocker?

Anyway, my brothers lived there years and loves it. Lived opposite a Park in West End (can’t remember name, bgins with K near the Uni) now lives in Kings Park.

Its a sprwaling mess but I guess its the same as many other cities

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Kelvingrove park

eviljoe
    Free Member

Glasgow is great- loved the 7 years I spent there. Loadsa cultcha. Merchant City Festival, Tramway and the Citz just across the river, great shopping in the centre and the west end. As long as you can cope with sun deprivation, jackpot I’d say 😉

stevomcd
    Free Member

Can’t think of a city in the UK I’d rather live in.

downgrade
    Free Member

Not much reason to be unhappy about moving to Glasgow. Great place to live, just spend a bit of time picking where you’re going to stay, a couple of streets apart can make a big difference. As noted above like anywhere there are bad parts and good parts. The good stuff in Glasgow is great.

Plenty of wee trails at lots of parks all around the city, more/bigger if you don’t mind a bit of riding to get there and loads of choice in all diretions within about an hours drive

uponthedowns
    Free Member

menothim you didn’t say where you’re moving from so its a bit difficult to say if Glasgow will be an improvement for you or not. Having lived there many years ago I’d say there are many worse places to live (mostly in England)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Having moved up here 11 months ago or so I can say Glasgow is great, though I dont live IN glasgow (just north of it) and wouldnt just because I hate living in densely populated places. Not sure I’d want to live towards the east end etc at all.

Interesting to hear about the renfrew opinions, theres a fair few decent-looking places out there for sale but never having strayed there in the car it’s hard to tell what it’s really like.

pomona
    Free Member

Have a look at this website and make your own mind up.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I moved out of Glasgow City Centre after 10 years and can honestly say the best thing about it is leaving it and not going back! 🙂 Lots of trouble around the Green (drugs, stabbings, murder etc) have you ever seen ‘Day of the Dead’ well that’s what its like when the junkies get up! 🙂

Although, there is some good riding in and around the City…and Glasgow is quite well placed to drive to even better riding. It depends on what you want….just be careful where you live.

BruceWee

If there was any jobs for me then I’d move back quite happily. Good riding and good night life. A good bit of culture as well if you’re that way inclined.

But yeah, you have to be really careful about where you live. The good places are great but the bad places definately aren’t.

Xan
    Free Member

as above just watch where yot are buyin. I moved to glasgow 6months ago and i am in a quiet wee bit with no arse holes but just across a dual carriage way about a 3min walk from my house it’s like enterin another world. Email me when yot move and get settled and happy for yot to join us for a few rides to show you some of the local trails that and only about 10-20 minute drive from the city. Email is paul.g.crossan(@) googlemail (.) com remove the spaces and brackets. Cheers paul.

menothim
    Free Member

Chhers everyone – hopefully won’t be there for too long. It’s just a case of putting our heads down, doing the work that takes us there and riding the bike as much as possible. Will certainly be great to hook up with locals for rides 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Glasgow is very much a city with two different faces, unfortunately you’re going to be living in the bit with the ugly face. I was born and brought up on a council estate in Glasgow, so ‘rough’ doesn’t shock me. However the area around Glasgow Green is rough as hell. I work in the Gorbals, again very rough no matter how many nice flats they build, and often go a wander across the water at lunch time – I’ve yet to walk up Saltmarket and not seen a fight or a fight brewing.

Glasgow is a great city but what people think of as the old Glasgow still very much exists. Just stay away from Saltmarket, London Road, etc and you’ll be fine. As for riding – Cathkin Braes and Pollok Park are within riding distance. If you’ve got a car then you’re sorted (as long as your wheels don’t get nicked) for quick trips to Mugdock and Glennifer Braes.

Oh and you can’t compare living round Glasgow Green with living in the west end or kings park. Glasgow Green etc really is full of junkies, drunks, pumps and whores.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Should I be happy be about moving to Glasgow?’ is closed to new replies.