Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Should Gordon really have to charter a BA flight to travel?
  • SST
    Free Member

Shouldn’t our government, like so many others, have their own plane?

How much does it cost to charter a 747 for a week anyway?

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chartering would be cheaper than ownership, I would imagine.

The necessity for this personal grandstanding trip, however? None.

jova54
    Free Member

IIRC the Queen has to use scheduled flights, if that’s good enough for her then it’s more than good enough for him.

IMO he should be made to fly Ryanair or Easyjet!

ski
    Free Member

I couldent care less about how he flys tbh, as long as he is not on the same plane as me that is!

what I want to know is what is going on with his jaw?

Every time he breaths in, it looks like his jaw detaches?

Darth Vader?

molgrips
    Free Member

IIRC the Queen has to use scheduled flights

You must be joking, surely. The Queen on a normal every day flight with the proles?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

molgrips, she sits up the front with me. 8)

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Prime Minister does not need further presidential paraphenalia.

uplink
    Free Member

The Queen has a whole squadron [32 Sqdn IIRC]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Buy, own and maintain a plane at public expense. Or just borrow one as and when you need it. I wonder which is more sensible?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Uplink, 32 are a bit more general than that, IIRC, with other air transport duties. Part of it provides air transport to the royals, but they lack any long haul capability.

trailmonkey

The Prime Minister does not need further presidential paraphenalia

I’m curious to know, what paraphenalia exists already ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    I’m curious to know, what paraphenalia exists already ?

That purple tie he always wears? (Does he not have any others? Also, can someone show him how to do a proper tie knot?) 😉

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

he looked his usual slovenly self when he was walking to the plane. Crumpled suit, talking whilst eating the remains of a sausage roll from the buffet.

I need to stop typing before I vomit.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The Queen has a whole squadron [32 Sqdn IIRC]

Actually although 32 (The Royal) Squadron feature ‘Royal’ in their name this is purely a historical inclusion. The primary role of 32 (TR) Sqn is communications and logistical support for military operations. Indeed they are regular visitors to, and operators from, many less than desirable Middle Eastern hotspots in their modified BAe 146 and HS125 aircraft.

VIP transport duties are secondary, though cabinet minster use accounts for far more of their VIP duty time than use by the Royal Family. Mr Miliband himself has used 32 (TR) Sqn more than 16 times in the last year alone.

Since taking the reigns in ’97 the current government seems to have become a bit more partial to using 32 (TR) Sqn than the previous government. Quite strange considering they are the party of the people.

As to the question, yes Brown should have to travel by chartered airline. We have precious few AT aircraft supporting operations in Afghanistan at the bequest of Mr Brown and his predecessor as it is. Use the few AT assets available (waiting for the PFI that never comes, cheers Gordon) to support those that are carrying out his will rather than ferry him for one grip and grin session to another.

If he wants a UK version of ‘Air Force One’ then he should stump up the cash for aircraft of use to the ongoing operations first and bin this ridiculous ‘brought on the never never’ PFI tosh..

samuri
    Free Member

John Travolta has his own plane, and yet our Prime minister does not. i think that just about sums up this sorry state of affairs,

woffle
    Free Member

John Travolta has his own plane, and yet our Prime minister does not. i think that just about sums up this sorry state of affairs.

John Travolta is a fully qualified pilot.

Lewis Hamilton has his own F1 car, GB doesn’t yet it’d sure get him to those G20 meetings a lot faster… 😀

sootyandjim
    Free Member

John Travolta has his own plane, and yet our Prime minister does not. i think that just about sums up this sorry state of affairs,

John Travolta is a private individual and can spend his money as he wishes.

Gordon Brown is a public servant, one who is good mates with some lass name Pru apparently, so should be accountable for every penny he wishes to take from the public purse in order to carry out his day to day work.

If he can justify an aircraft for himself for reasons such as ‘security’ then he can first stump up the cash to provide AT assets for military use in actual conflict areas with the best protective devices and structural improvements money can buy. Until then he can turn left at the end of the airstair (I’ll give the ‘head honcho’ that perk at least) on any flight deemed safe enough for us plebs.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Lewis Hamilton has his own F1 car

No he does not in any way. It belongs to McLaren.

takisawa2

Didn’t they buy an old 747 a couple of years ago when President Blair was ruling the roost…old Bush’ie had been over in his & Tony wanted one.

I cant imagine chartering a 30 seat jet is much more expensive than 30 business class seats…

woffle
    Free Member

No he does not in any way. It belongs to McLaren.

True – but then I don’t think Samurai was suggesting that we buy GB his very own jet, rather a plane owned by, and for government use…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Didn’t they buy an old 747 a couple of years ago ….

No.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

molgrips, she sits up the front with me

“on me” would be your idea of heaven flash!

samuri
    Free Member

I wasn’t even suggesting that 😉 It was a lame attempt at humour… never mind.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Soz, samuri.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Can’t see any reason why Old mongrel face can’t fly with the people he represents…. after all, the security at airports these days is meant to be second to none. It would save money and he’d get to hear what people actually think rather than just assuming he knows anyway

willard

Maybe that’s what he’s scared about… Hearing what people think about the way he’s running things.

All people are equal you know, just that some of them are more equal than others.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Should Gordon really have to charter a BA flight to travel?’ is closed to new replies.