Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Should David Beckham be Knighted?
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

The Greeks seem to think so 😆

freeagent
    Free Member

For putting up with Victoria? yes, probably.

Gary_C

Beckham ? As in the wife cheating, self-centred narcissistic footballist?

I think not.

dabble
    Free Member

nah

cb

he will be and probably more deserving than most

gingerss
    Free Member

As in the wife cheating, self-centred narcissistic footballist

Not that I’m a Beckham fan or anything, I’m not. But, how many people who have achieved great things are well rounded people who put as much effort in to their family/loved ones etc as they do what they are known for. Everybody has their flaws, some bigger than others but nobody can be all things to all men. Beckham is obviously very focussed on what it is he does otherwise he wouldn’t be so successful as he is.

Personally I’m not sure he’s done enough but others may disagree. He’s not been engaged in any criminal activity (as far as we know), so why not judge him on his merits rather than his flaws.

I do hope we get over this stupid idea that people can be perfect fairly soon as it’s really not very helpful.

enfht
    Free Member

Knighted for his services to the phrase “ya know”

surlynot
    Free Member

Personally….no
    OP do you?

donsimon
    Free Member

Personally I’m not sure he’s done enough but others may disagree. He’s not been engaged in any criminal activity (as far as we know), so why not judge him on his merits rather than his flaws.

You don’t really understand how this country works, do you?

zimbo
    Free Member

Why not? For his services in epitomising that ever-growing style-over-substance, celebrity obsessed, I’m-special-cos-I’m-famous section of our society.

gingerss
    Free Member

You don’t really understand how this country works, do you?

I can hope.

emac65
    Free Member

He does far more good than bad so why not…….

Bunnyhop

He used to live near me and was liked by the locals for being generous, kind, and charitable. Just normal really, going into local shops, taking his child (he only had Brooklyn then) swimming. I like him a lot.

I’ve seen him more than once surrounded by children taking time to chat to everyone of them, signing shirts and bits of paper. O.K that may not be enough for a knighthood, however I can think of others who imo don’t deserve the time of day.

He’s proud of this country and flies our flag all over the world.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

absolutley yes – He has done a lot for this country, not just football, and is a proud british person.

zimbo
    Free Member

He does far more good than bad so why not…….

On that basis, there’d be LOADS of us getting one. Well, not me. I’m at least 51% bad, and definitely a ****.

Garry_Lager

More mbe / cbe level I’d say if he doesn’t have one of those already – he’s a good role model.
    There’s some pretty mediocre knighthoods knocking about, you can get one for carrying an mp’s bag for a few years. But in the world of sport you normally have to have done something special. Just being the second English man to have won the top division in 3 countries doesn’t cut it (who was the first, trivia fans?), even if he is an all round good egg.

zippykona

Not before Bobby Moore gets one.

rainbow
    Free Member

no, he is no role model.

wallop

He is a fantastic role model. All those bleating about celebrity – that’s his wife, not him. He is great guy. As long as he doesnt talk, obvs.

zimbo
    Free Member

All those bleating about celebrity – that’s his wife, not him

Is that really true? He seems like a pretty good self-promoter to me. Granted, she’s worse, but he hardly stays at home hiding behind the curtains, does he?

allthepies
    Free Member

I like him, despite his tats.

Arise Sir Becks…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Only if he can spell nited nighted nieghted knighted.

Geldof got one for buying half the Kings Road and moaning a lot, so why not Dave for his services to underpants/sunglasses/hair gel.

midlifecrashes

Nah, make him a Lord, that’ll maker her Lady Posh too, how good is that?

Sir should be for folk with real achievement. Not much silverware in the England cupboard from the Beckham era.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

to be honest the whole system is pointless above the bottom level

some people put 40 years of hard slog into charity work for which they get nothing themselves and end up with MBE/ OBE the differential being obscure and probably related more to class/ social standing than what the person actually did

beyond that it’s like joining a club, dame’s in the theatre, knighthoods for business or being a civil servant, peerages for being a political flunky

BermBandit
    Free Member

epitomising that ever-growing style-over-substance, celebrity obsessed, I’m-special-cos-I’m-famous section of our society.

I think you’ll find there is very considerable substance as well as the abundantly obvious style. If he is special its simply because he’s bloody good at what he does, and nowadays that extends way beyond the game of football.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t really care, but can’t help wonder what for? He was an England footballer and what did he actually help them win?

toys19
    Free Member

I despise celebrity culture but David Beckham comes across as the most unassuming modest guy and actually works his arse off for the UK, Coe and Boris were on the news earlier singing his praises. I’d rather he had it than some rich company barsteward who has Dave’s tongue deep in his Baldwin Road.

donsimon
    Free Member

He was an England footballer and what did he actually help them win?

I assume he must have done something as he’s possibly one of the world’s most recognised faces and most people do actually look upon him positively, and have done for good long time.

DezB
    Free Member

Thats cos he modelled pants innit?

donsimon
    Free Member

Jealous?

DezB
    Free Member

Huh?

[edit]sorry, I should say: no

zimbo
    Free Member

I think you’ll find there is very considerable substance as well as the abundantly obvious style. If he is special its simply because he’s bloody good at what he does, and nowadays that extends way beyond the game of football.

I think you’ll find his public profile is out of proportion to his footballing or other ability, it’s built more on his celebrity marriage and, sadly, his good looks. I don’t doubt he’s a decent bloke and a good egg at heart, but so are a lot of others who will never receive that attention because they’re not as media friendly or as self-promoting.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Zimbo, I don’t know what planet you are on, but his celebrity marriage actually comprises of his has been and not particularly talented wife marrying a global sport superstar, as opposed to a global sport superstar marrying into money or fame. He is renowned in the sport as being one of the hardest working guys in the game to this day, and at the very least you have to credit him with the intellect to get the right people around him to guide his career. There are plenty who are not that smart. His current income at the end of his active sporting career is in the region of $50 million per annum, He also has the highest number of England caps for an outfield player and is the second highest of all time….. so frankly your criticism is a bit monty pythonesque in the “what have the romans ever done for us” vein.

kimbers

mleh, the honours system is rotten as **** anyway

beckhams probably as deserving as any of em

Kevevs
    Free Member

Depends on what value we put on being a “knight” though I suppose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight he’s certainly been a good footballer and seems like a Genuine Nice Chap and a good dad etc. Apart from his indiscretions, ahem. But surely there’s loads of people doing Good Stuff that are more qualified, just not in the papers/on telly. A knighthood is society saying “this person is a paragon of virture and integrity” isn’t it? not just a nice bloke who’s good at football.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Aaah I rarely swear in here but **** off zimbo!! The blokes a legend, who uses his “high profile” to help others!! From deprived kids kicking a plaggy football round the east end to people on the verge of starvation in Africa! If his profile can help help them, then he seems to be up for it!! As for his football exploits Ive watched him from a man u teenager thro to the 98 hanging dummy scapegoat of the England football team, to the free kick against Greece right up till the moment he resigned as captain!! And yes I’d love to see a true Brit lead out the wendyball team and give it a right good go!!
    Oh and after all that he was flying back to LA tonight to play tomorrow! Mans a ledge in my eyes!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

From an early post…

surlynot – Member

Personally….no
    OP do you?

As a Knight, I feel qualified to comment 😆

Yes he should! Seems to do more to promote the UK than most who are Knighted

Come on Sir David – give the UK a gold medal this summer 😉

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Just being the second English man to have won the top division in 3 countries doesn’t cut it (who was the first, trivia fans?

Trevor Steven?

Kevevs
    Free Member

have we on stw considered everything and decided a football player should be knighted? the bloke is no more special than loads of other people. I don’t get it.

dans160
    Free Member

Yes, he should.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Should David Beckham be Knighted?’ is closed to new replies.