Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Should a 25c tyre fit where I previously had a 23c tyre?
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m having a nightmare fitting this tyre, including having a inner tube just explode at 100psi. Ready to give up on this road biking lark proving expensive

lunge

If you mean should it fit on the same rim then the answer is yes, it should.

milleboy
    Free Member

However it might not fit in your frame………

dovebiker

Firstly, if your wheel is fitted with a rigid plastic rim tape, bin-it and fit something better / thinner. Some road tyres can be very tight when new so technique is key – check out youtube – you really need to push the bead into the well of the rim. The reason the inner exploded was probably because it was pinched under the rim.

CraigW
    Free Member

What sort of tyre is it? Some have a really stiff bead. eg Schwalbe Marathon.
    Also some rims are slightly oversized, and some tyres are undersized, so you may get a really tight combination.

A bead jack (eg Koostop Tyre Mate) can help with really tight tyres. It lifts the tyre over the rim, so helps avoid pinching the inner tube.

tails
    Free Member

It’s a durano plus by schwalbe, I’ll look into the rim tape.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I stuck some 25c Durano’s on in replacement of my 23 Giant tyres using the same inner tubes as before. Was very, very tight on the rim compared to the Giant, i’m dreading getting a puncture but got the ones with the additional puncture resistance band, but have had no problems at all other than the tightness. They’re not actually any taller than the 23c tyres in terms of overall diameter, maybe a few mm in it if you were to actually measure them, but not noticeable, so no issues with frame clearance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Should a 25c tyre fit where I previously had a 23c tyre?’ is closed to new replies.