Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shorts and other such dubious lycra necessity.
  • WildHunter2009

Any recommendations for cycling shorts that i can multitask between the road and mountain bikes? Currently got some fairly old endura shorts and a pair of endura baggies with clip in liner. Doing a lot more road miles now though so needing a few more pairs to keep up! Are road shorts much different? Anything to look out for?

Dave

tomkerton
    Free Member

Get a good quality bib short with a pad – and wear a pair of baggies over the top when you’re mtbing?

dknwhy

Agree with tomkerton. Get a decent bib short – much more comfortable. I’ve been quite impressed with DHB bib shorts from Wiggle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d go with bibs, got a set of Champion Systems one nice and comfy though I don’t use them under baggies I just use my shorter mtn bike ones.

edhornby

I wouldn’t use the same for both – you know how mountainbike components get trashed by the mud ? well clothes do too

a good quality pair of bibs for road riding and no baggies (the baggies wear them out by the heavy duty material, the seams burning holes into them) and they are unneccesary

for mountainbiking I use inexpensive baggies and the aldi shorts as liner because the pad is ok

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Definitely get a set of bibs if your going for road use. The DHB ones at wiggle are pretty good or if you’re feeling mroe flush look at the likes of Assos or Castelli. Though I prefer bibs when mountain biking too (with baggies over the top) the difference isnt as noticeable as you tend to sit down less.

D0NK

Bog standard shorts can be used under baggies or tights, not heard of any difference between road lycra and mtb lycra. Bibs are comfy but 99% of the time I “rough it” with standard shorts, lets face it having a bit of elastic around your waist isn’t the most uncomfortable thing ever. (tights are different I’d go bib everytime)
    Endura’s are good for the clickfast with baggies but I use lusso shorts most of the time, comfy enough at a reasonable price. Couple of pairs of the posh ones for mtbing and 4 pairs of the cheapy ones for commuting.

My buttocks have never been caressed by an Assos chammy so no doubt I’m missing out on superlative levels of comfort, but I very rarely get a sensitive jacksie so I’ll stick with what I know and still afford to feed the kids 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely bib shorts with baggies over. Judging by the colour of the guys lower back as he went past me this morning on his road bike, normal shorts are not great on frosty commutes.

Dhb from wiggle work well for me, best you can afford of their options

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shorts and other such dubious lycra necessity.’ is closed to new replies.