Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Shorthold tenancy/relationship breakup issues
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Hi guys, following on from this thread:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/moving-on-after-5-years-relationship-content

My now ex partner is digging her heels in over the remaining 5 months we are tied to our tenancy agreement on our flat. I want to move out as I can’t live with her for obvious reasons; she doesn’t but doesn’t want to get someone else to take over my side of the agreement.

I would stay and have someone move in with me if I have to but I think she thinks that was my plan from day one. She’s suggested that I should move out and continue to pay for a flat i’m not living in because i was the one who called full time on the relationship, which I am not going to do – i’d rather continue living here with her than lose out financially.
    The land lady, understandably, isn’t willing to release us from the contract early.
    sooooo….
    …anyone been in a similar situation?
    …anyone looking for a flat in central manchester (greenquarter) £725pm 2 bed 2 bath (1 En suite) and secure parking? 😉
    …any advice?

thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not done the break up but what’s the problem with her leaving and you sharing it?

If you walk out your LL has a duty to re-let and minimise her losses – what is the market like?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I think you should move on and help the ex out with the rent.
    It’s probably too hard for her to deal with you living there too, which is why she wants you to move out.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I know it’s sh1tty but if you need to move on – you need to help out with the consquences too.

Be reasonable. Try to negotiate with the LL. If all else fails do the right thing. In the years to come you’ll sleep better. Honest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As I said I’ve not been through it but I don’t see why she should get the place to herself at your expense.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Al- She probably doesnt want the place to herself. She thought they are doing this together etc etc. If they both bail from the contract they signed then the LL sues them both. Jointly and severally responsbile etc. That’s a different pile of dung best avoided.

Edit – I’m coming from this as a long time back I landed in your boat. It was a mess, probably worse than yours (just read your mountaineering post). She doesnt want to split. You do.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Was there a thread recently about what makes a man?

Hate to say it, but in the situation you’ve described…

A man moves out and helps his ex out with the rent, or helps her find someone else to pay the rent for the remaining period of the contract.

Its shite, but like couldashoulda’ says… it’ll absolve your conscience for the future.

Woody
    Free Member

All sensible sensitive replies.

You need to set a timescale so that one of you can move out the minimum financial loss or cost to the other. This would necessitate your ex being reasonable and not awkward and bitter.

Realistically………….. find an expedition that leaves next month !

cynic-al
    Free Member

What kind of sexist bullshit is that TSY?

Women can stand on their own you know, even those that don’t want to.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Al- there’s nothing sexist about it. They sign a contract together expecting it to be long term. One party wants to bail. Morally the bailer helps the other out.

If it was a business contract they’d signed – I would give exactly the same answer. If it was 2 blokes etc

br
    Free Member

There are 2 bedrooms, whats the problem?

cynic-al
    Free Member

So if she binned it you’d all be shouting for him to get paid out?

I think not.

ebygomm
    Free Member

But if he’s offered to stay and have someone else move into the spare room effectively releasing her from the contract then I can’t see there’s any complaint.

Paying for a flat you can’t live in when you’ve offered solutions makes you a mug not a man.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What kind of sexist bullshit is that TSY?

Does it make it easier for you if we compare man to boy?

Or (if the shoe was on the other foot)

A lady to a bitch?

Hopefully that satisfies your PC credentials.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

They signed a contract together. They took a chance. It didnt work.

If either one bails – they should do the right thing.

Should. Right thing. Real difficult concepts for a lot of folk 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How you act depends on whether you are liable to want to go back to her when you’ve had a break.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Spk to the Land Lady again. Ask if you/she can look for new tenants and you’ll only move out when she’s found some.

I can’t see why she wouldn’t agree to that and it should happen in less than 5mths.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Zulus – I’ve met you once and got the impression you’re mad about your SO. And a decent bloke. Apart from being fitter than me – which makes you a bas***d 😉

So – if you decided to go off on a complete tangent career or woman wise (considering your history together), what would you do? Honestly.

Edit – This is probably the one post I’ll get on my high horse over. Simply as I relate to the OP from experience.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seeing as I’m being asked directly I would do whatever I could to avoid f**king her over any more than I already had done.

Where did we meet & who are you?

cinnamon_girl

Whatever decision you reach, make sure that your guilt does not equate to suffering financially.

Hell hath no fury like a person scorned …

Break-ups are horrible, no matter how hard you try to be ‘reasonable’, the hurt party can only display bitterness due to rejection.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Zulus – I’m Ron. We met on a STW TBC ride. Near Sainsbury’s etc.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Of course. I remember now. Beer is making for a hazy brain.

HighClimber – was splitting up the best option? She not willing to go along with your mountaineering ambitions?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No worries – Ive only met you once and I dont remember exactly what we chatted about but I remember thinking – he’s mad about his “physio”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at “man” “boy” and “should” but not “bitch”.

Some proper Neanderthals on here.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

LOL at “man” “boy” and “should” but not “bitch”.

I’m lost – in English would help – or are normal folks too slow – probably?.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well I’m a caring sharing sort of guy but there is no way I would be paying rent for a place I wasn’t living in. You can give notice even during the 6 month of the tenancy I thought – or just sacrifice your share of the deposit as there is damn all the landlord can do anyway beyond keep the deposit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ she could sue.

CWS never heard of LOL?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Could al but realistically would she? She can only sue for losses and she gets the deposit plus the months notice so the losses are only 3 months assuming she does not get new tenants – which shwe has to attempt to do so..

Not worth while suing I would have thought

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Plenty people on here sue for less.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£2K and no defence? No brainer.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Al- I’ve heard of this sense of humour thing 😉

Thing is when you’re in the middle of this splitting process it’s probably feels the same as something like being being raped. It’s truly awful.

And separation is one place where humour dont exist!

And random word combos add fuel to the fire.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh loses would not be 2 k – they would be nil. She can find new tenents in the month that the deposit pays –

the landlord can only sue for loses incured and has to take steps to mitigate the loses.

toys19
    Free Member

TJ + 1 damn him.

hels
    Free Member

IME it is best to get out fast in these situations – do you really really want to live with each other under these circumstances for a minute longer than you have to ?

Give notice. If she genuinely wants to keep the flat she can take it over in her own name and get a flatmate, so no loss to the landlord. If she drags her heels on this maybe help her out given your past reneging, but if lease in her name she will be liable, and less likely to drag her heels.

Sort out the legal stuff and go from there – any other way is just delaying and she may be quietly thinking you won’t really go. Cruel to be kind and all that.

P.S Couldawoulda – you almost deserve a spell in men’s prison for that rape comment

nickf
    Free Member

You’ve just dumped a girl after 5 years when she thought there was nothing wrong, and now you’re refusing to cover your share of the flat that she took on in good faith.

Genuinely, you should be ashamed of yourself, unless you really can’t afford to pay. Take responsibility for the consequences of your actions.

Oh, and TJ, nice of you to advocate sticking it to the lardlord. As someone who’s just been screwed over by amoral tenants I can assure you it’s not pleasant being dragged into someone else’s personal mess.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickf. As I pointed out – the landlord won’t have any significant loses if you give a months notice and forfeit your deposit. That gives the landlord a month to find new tenants which should be no issue. I have a flat I let and I had exactly this done to me – I had a new tenant within 10 days.

hels
    Free Member

I am a landlord too – I would rather tenants were honest about the situation and covered any costs of reletting the flat than the hassle of chasing up unpaid rent.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m still not sure if I need to get my club blunted for Al or not?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Teh loses would not be 2 k – they would be nil. She can find new tenents in the month that the deposit pays –

You know the market where the OP lives? May not be that easy. Plenty properties for let just now.

nickf
    Free Member

TJ, I refer you to the point where you stated

She can only sue for losses and she gets the deposit plus the months notice so the losses are only 3 months assuming she does not get new tenants – which shwe has to attempt to do so..

Not worth while suing I would have thought

Losses of only 3 months….sure, the owner can get a new tenant in, but the point is that the tenants have a contract for 6 months. They signed up in good faith, as did the landlord. There’s no break clause in a standard 6 month tenancy, to protect all parties.

Put it the other way; would you be happy, as a tenant, if I decided arbitrarily to end your 6 month lease? Thought not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Shorthold tenancy/relationship breakup issues’ is closed to new replies.