• This topic has 64 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Shortest length of time you've ever had a bike for?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

For me it was a steel ATB monstrosity called a Himalayan Pro which failed in a number of ways on the first ride. Bought Friday pm back to the shop Monday am

Also a Townsend which broke a chainstay riding off a kerb I’d had it a couple of months. Took it back to the lbs who generously p-exd it for a Marin there and then. Those were the days

What have you had and why did you get rid of it

somafunk

A Marin Mount Vision Pro back in 1997, I bought one and sold it to a mate 2 weeks later – hateful thing to ride compared to my rigid 1994 Indian Fire Trail (which i still have btw).

It put me off FS and it taken until now to get over it and order a new FS for myself.

MrNice
    Free Member

[Tannoy] Paging Hora! Hora to the thread! [/Tannoy]

wwaswas

I rode my Lynskey for 8 miles.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

[Tannoy] Paging Hora! Hora to the thread! [/Tannoy]

Funnily enough, I reckon I could beat hora with one of his own bikes – bought his old Heckler off him, rode it twice and sold it. A hateful thing…

smatkins1
    Free Member

As a kid in the very late 90s my dad bought be a steel Peugeot full suspension bike. I started to learn to jump on that and it only lasted a couple of weeks before the chain-stay snapped. I couldn’t have weighed over 45kg. The guy in the shop accused my dad of riding and breaking it 😀

This was followed by a Klein which I bought but eventually cracked. Followed by a unbranded steel frame which eventually cracked. Then when I was about 15 I bought a 26″ wheeled Mission trials bike which I snapped the chain-stay on the day after I bought it. I seemed to have a bit of a stint breaking frames in my school years.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Had a Meta 55 for less than 24 hours, was nicked out the living room the night it was bought. If you’re talking about how long have you had a bike before choosing to get rid of it then probably 18 months.

Tom KP

thered

Stu Tite to the forum!!! Stu Tite to the forum!

deejayen
    Free Member

I too had a bike nicked within 24 hours. 🙁

medoramas
    Free Member

was nicked out the living room

😯

jimmy

Bought an orange 5 frame, built it up, sat on it in the garage, dismantled it, sold it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fat bike, a couple of months. Was okay, a bit of a laugh at first, but no better at anything than my other bikes are*.

Glad I tried it though.

* I have no interest in riding on sand, and in coastal SW Scotland we get snow about once every 5 years.

cokie

Built a up a custom frame I ordered, rode it to the beach for photos. Measured the frame and found that the builder was way out of spec. Hated the whole experience. Sold after about 5 minutes rolling time with the revised geometry.
    I waited 5 months for the frame to be built and shipped from Oz.

northernmatt

Fatty, bought when that 20% off code was doing the rounds. Sold it 3 months later.

* I have no interest in riding on sand, and in coastal SW Scotland we get snow about once every 5 years.

Oddly enough I sold it to someone from your area. I think he lived near Newton Stewart as his LBS is Kirkcowan Cycles.

loddrik
    Free Member

I once bought a bike on eBay but sold it on before it had even been delivered to me.

tomhoward

Three months. But, in my defence, in that time I rode it less than 100 yards.

shermer75
    Free Member

jimmy – Member
    Bought an orange 5 frame, built it up, sat on it in the garage, dismantled it, sold it.

This has got to be a winner, hasn’t it? 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oddly enough I sold it to someone from your area. I think he lived near Newton Stewart as his LBS is Kirkcowan Cycles.

About 70 miles to the south, all there is to do there is eat, drink, shag and ride.

Not to be sneezed at… 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

Regretfully about 12 miles. Then i went a bit mad. I tried to buy it back a number of times too 🙁 still want it back too

ajf
    Free Member

Built up a dialled love/hate, ride three miles to work, got stolen 🙁

Total riding time 20 minutes

Northwind

I had it for ages, because no bugger’d buy it, but I only rode my Dare twice. I’d have sold it after a fortnight if I could’ve but I had to find some other bloody idiot who’d buy a Dare.

NormalMan

A Giant from the way 90’s. I bought it mainly as a commute and tour mtb. I sold it 2 weeks later after loads of issues.

tenfoot

I thought I had it tough after someone stole my XTC after 8 months, but some of those tales up there put my sob story into perspective.

sandwicheater

Salsa Casserole, dreadful drop out design. Rode it all of 700m and sold it on.

On One summer season. Purchased on FRiday, picked it up the next day, realised was to small and sold it the next day (for a loss).

zinaru
    Free Member

six months with a kona unit. loved it but it was a ‘dipping my toe in the whole single speed thing’ fling. happened at the same time as i moved from the city centre to the hilly countryside.

trailhound101

… erm… anyone out there want to buy a Cannondale CAADX Rival. Almost new?

Stoner
    Free Member

<20 miles on a Mountain Cycle Zen.

Came as a value replacement from CRC after my lovely Tomac Eli failed at the welds.

The Zen felt dead. Hideous thing. But I have to thank it for giving me the urge to try 29ers.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Cove Handjob a few years ago when CRC were selling them cheap, took a few days to be delivered because of Christmas and the snow, built it up when it arrived, without even sitting on it it dawned upon me I purchased the 19.5″ instead of the 21″. Way to small for my legs and sold it 4 hours after delivery to a friend for a loss.

In fact since 2005 I haven’t owned a bike for more than a year. Aiming to hold on to my current one for a good few years now though.

Mate of mine had a brand new Giant XTC. Rode it fine on the Monday, crashed into a concrete post on Wednesday. Wrecked.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign, built up, all excited, rode once for 12 miles and hated it, stripped down the minute I got home!

Never meet your heros as they say

MussEd
    Free Member

Bought a SS inbred off here. Missed the courier, he returned when I was out. Wife took the delivery. In my absence Her superior detective skills worked out I’d bought another bike I didn’t need. By the time I got back there was no doubt it was not getting as far as the shed.

So I put an ad back up and sold it on before I’d even built it. I did take it out of the box for a look though.

breadcrumb

I’d say I’ve had any bike a minimum of 18 months before moving it on.

matt_outandabout

6 days.
    Some swine stole my 1994 Saracen Tufftrax.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I rode a once revered spesh SX thing for one ride & sold it, I then bought a NOS Turner Buner, rode it once then dismantled it & hung it on the wall where it still resides, I think it taught me that I hate steep seat angles & pushing my weight forward & I have always bought more relaxed frames since.

Ho hum.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Yeah, used to live in Bristol. Someone either followed us home from the shop or saw us getting it out of the car and into the house.

Thank ###k we don’t live in Bristol anymore

Tom KP

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

A ‘Dale F3000SL.

I bought it on the way home from work on a whim (single, no children, the days of disposable income). It was stupidly light and stiff. A real race machine. The problem was, it was (comparatively) faster on the road than off. Twitchy, scary, uncomfortable on anything more than fire roads. The acceleration was addictive but sold it 4 weeks later and bought a Specialized Enduro.

Actually, I’d quite like it back now… those wheels were an engineering marvel, as was the carbon Lefty.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I bought a nice new purple Trek Stache 7 29+ a couple of weeks ago on a whim. Havent even put pedals on it yet and already in the back of my mind i’m thinking i have other hardtails and this is n+1 too far and i should sell it whilst its new.

woodster

Bought a Kaffenback frameset, took it out the box and decided my budget build plans would mean it ended up weighing more than the average hippo, so I boxed it up and sold it on.

Got it in a sale so didn’t lose any money else I might have had to keep it.

Bedds
    Free Member

I lusted after an original Orange Clockwork back in the day, I found one on ebay and bought it with the intentions of SSing it. Drove a 350 mile round trip to collect it.

I Rode it to and from work and put it straight back on ebay, that was 16 miles total.. horrible thing to ride 🙁

Never meet your heroes

jonnyrobertson

A Tensor Supernonva as a replacement for my Raleigh Mustang (the pinky-purpley one) that got knicked the day after I’d spent ages ineptly trying to tart it up. It was one of those crappy ads in the paper that you used to get offering big discounts. 50% off they said, only £129.99! I was sixteen and thought it was a bargain, plus my summer holiday job of collecting trolleys at Asda wasn’t the highest paid job in the world so £130 to me sounded pretty good. A BSO with flouro yellow and black and green splatter paintjob arrived and I felt crushed. I knew immediately that I’d paid full wahck for that thing, and then some (the kind of bike you’d get in Tesco these days for 70 quid). Still, it was a bike. Straightened it out, tightened it up, took it out and it shook itself to bits. This happened regularly until I was able to get it into Halfords for a proper “service”. Riding home it shook itself to bits once more. Less than two weeks of ownership, sent back for a refund and a wee loan from my parents saw me splash a whole two hundred pounds on a Raleigh Draken that I loved (not least cos it had the same paint job as a Yukon 8) ) and rode and rode and rode.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Shortest length of time you've ever had a bike for?’ is closed to new replies.