Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shortest Dropper?
  • miketbrown
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the shortest possible dropper post (in length not travel) is available? Assuming 30.9 diameter.

nickjb
    Free Member

How short do you need it? The Command post has a 75mm drop version that is quite short. For my wife’s bike I had to modify a T-Mars to get the post short enough. Being a gravity dropper agricultural style it was pretty easy to adjust the travel. I was limited to 27.2, if it were 30.9 the Command Post might have done it.

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Dropper will do pretty much anything you need, the limit being how long a drop you can get (100mm max in 27.2, 125mm in 30.9+) and how short the whole post can be (the shorter the drop, the shorter the post can be and still fit the innards). You can order direct from their site. V helpful guys and the posts are both reliable and super easy to service.

evh22
    Free Member

The LEV is the shortest infinite position post that I’ve found. What’s the problem? Why do you need a short post? Is it the maximum insert? You also want to look at the height of the collar and the clamp.

evh22
    Free Member

Oh, the integrated posts might be shorter.

No, I take it back: the KS supernatural is shorter with a 75mm drop but it’s mechanism sucks.

pinetree
    Free Member

That new Raceface/Easton post comes in a 350 length (100mm drop)

miketbrown
    Free Member

The problem is v short legs! I’m moving on from an 2009 Orange 5 and current decent trail bikes (frame geometries, 650B wheels, 140-160mm forks) present a problem with seat tubes that are either too long in smallest size or prevent full insertion due to the main pivot located within the seat tube.

danposs86

Giant do a 100mm dropper that is 350. 30.9 too.

br
    Free Member

The problem is v short legs! I’m moving on from an 2009 Orange 5 and current decent trail bikes (frame geometries, 650B wheels, 140-160mm forks) present a problem with seat tubes that are either too long in smallest size or prevent full insertion due to the main pivot located within the seat tube.

Get a s/h newer Orange 5, in 26″?

ahwiles
    Free Member

miketbrown – Member

The problem is v short legs!

what length cranks are you running?

my 5foot wife gets a 25mm ‘boost’ from her 140mm cranks over the 165’s that were fitted.

(enough of a boost to make room for a go-go-gadget seatpost)

miketbrown
    Free Member

ahwiles – Well they would probably be 170mm (I haven’t actually got the new bike yet as I’m still trying to choose). Interesting though – what bike is she riding? Who makes 140mm cranks?

ahwiles
    Free Member

My wife’s hardtail is a specialized myka.

her full-sus is a Liv Lust.

we had some SRAM s600 cranks shortened to 140mm* by highpath engineering.

(the cranks are £35 with rings, the shortening cost £40)

you can buy 150mm cranks from SJS cycles. square taper only, £50 + rings.

you can buy 155 ‘thru axle’ cranks from Canfield, £180.

(*leg length divided by 5 – which is only approximate, but it’s better than the ‘one size fits all’ offered by shimano/etc.)

Now, annoyingly, her full-sus has a press-fit bb, which means we can’t fit her shortened correct-length square taper cranks. So i’m having a jig made that will allow me to shorten some deore cranks. Her new bike is ace, but she’s more or less refusing to ride it till i get some cranks to fit.

evh22
    Free Member

How tall are you??? all these stupid interrupted frames are rubbish for droppers, what bike do you have. You’ll find even pictures of the women’s specific small bikes have a dropper stuck way up far to high out of the frame. Don’t believe the geometry either as I found the same bike in aluminium and carbon had different seat tube lengths.

The LEV is 335mm and a 176mm max insert. I found some welding within the frame stopped a post going in so bought a narrower post and shimmed it (there’s a thread i started somewhere with the details when i first had the problem). Have a look at what posts women’s bikes come with: the new trek lush comes with this: KS eThirty Integra so might be short.

I don’t think I’d buy a bike that wasn’t properly dropper compatible again. Definitely get one with the option to go integrated as i think this shortens the post.

miketbrown
    Free Member

evh22 – I’m 5’4″ with a 26.5″ inside leg. I ride a 2009 Orange Five in 14″ frame – actually the seat tube is 345mm. I use a X-Fusion Hi-Lo dropper which goes all the way into the seat tube, right up to the collar. Only about 4 inches of drop but its enough to make a big difference. I’m trying (pretty hard and not very successfully) to ‘bike up’ and ‘future proof’ (if that’s possible!) my riding with a new machine (tapered ht, progressive geo, 650B, 150/160mm travel etc.)

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Turner RFX v4 – low seat tube and stand over numbers, but noticed in their FAQs that any dropper is limited to a max 8″ insertion – as you say its “interrupted frame”.

What do you mean by “..go integrated as I think this shortens the post”?

evh22
    Free Member

If you look at the stats the integrated posts seem to be a bit shorter. The x fusion is quite long. I’d get a ks. If you look back you’ll find a thread I started with some ideas for droppers. I have ended up with a lev and a reverb. I’m much shorter than you so I’d think you’d have no problem

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I might have misunderstood some of this, but have you factored in the max saddle height ?

The way I’ve installed my Reverb is to have it fully extended, and insert it into the frame until I get my correct saddle height. If I wasn’t able to insert it down far enough due to linkage bolts, I’d still be able to ride the bike, but each time I extended the dropper, I’d have to ‘guide’ it up to the correct height, as opposed to letting it pop up all the way. Sorry if this sounds obvious.

On another bike, I’ve got a RaseBike mechanical dropper and even though I couldn’t insert it all the way into the frame, it allows me to set the max extension – but you can’t do this with pneumatic droppers.

Have you come across this chart before ?

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/jonboy1066/media/0034383E-462E-4EA0-A9BE-AE48FC49B469.png.html

miketbrown
    Free Member

evh22 – What do you ride? I was (and still am) really aiming for an adjustable post either via remote or handle. I’m not bothered by cosmetics – just something that works for me.

evh22
    Free Member

A trek lush. New ones come with droppers so would hopefully fit one but only 120mm travel. What about a 15.5 inch remedy? Might even be too small for you. Mate has YT Capra but I think that also has seat post issues but he has short legs and long body

That link above is v helpful

miketbrown
    Free Member

evh22 – yes that link is hugely helpful. Many thanks DiscJockey!!
    Looks like a Kind Shock Cobra i9000 would fit into the Turner RFX v4. 🙂
    The Remedy is one of my options I’ll be looking into soon. Believe me – nothing is too short! Capra seems quite big – what size is he riding?

DiscJockey – the max saddle height is not a problem – its about getting the saddle low enough to get it well out of the way on steep/technical/jumpy descents.
    Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shortest Dropper?’ is closed to new replies.