Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shortest chainstays around
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Which bike has the shortest chainstays? of course there has to be rules. min 26er and measured from center BB to center of axle in most forward position (if applicable).
    Pictures must be included to claim the phenomenal prize on offer but will take measurements at face value till the top few are decided.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Elevated chainstay Alpinestars used to be sub 16″ –

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Stevet1 said, a thankfully short lived fashion.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    What Stevet1 said, a thankfully short lived fashion.

Trek brought that back for the Stache, pretty much

qwerty
    Free Member

Shaggys Automatic 29er, a Rizla paper would struggle.

sillyoldman

Despite being a 29+/29er/650+ bike, the Stache can run as short as 405mm (in 29er or 650+ guise), so still just under 16″ in spite of the large wheel/tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trek brought that back for the Stache, pretty much

I meant the chainstay length, not elevated stays.

qwerty
    Free Member

Thats f’kin close

AlexSimon

I think the Fisher Montare was even shorter than the Alpinestars

15.5″ I believe

lovewookie

Ozone Oxygen back in the early 90’s used to have sub 16″ stays with a machined chainstay yoke.

Bigmantrials

As you only state 26inch minimum and no reference to type of bike, this is a BT ninja 365 trials bike, the chainstays are 365mm, although it did run a slightly wider BB to enable it to accomadate 2.5inch tyres:

Most 26inch trials bikes now sit around the 375 – 380mm chainstay length whilst using standard 68mm BB shells and are able to accomadate 2.5inch tyres comfortably.

Rorschach
    Free Member

394mm (15.5″) on a 29er with clearance for proper tyres.Gotta love Walt.

helpful1
    Free Member

without committing to the ugly stick* sub 16″ with a standard width BB shell and clearance for a 26×2.35 tyre is easily do-able.
    Sub 15.25″ means compromises to aesthetics are required somewhere to allow for tyre clearance.

*ie. using a continuous straight seattube, useable seat tube angle and chainstays attached to BB shell.

mick_r

My first 29er frame will go shorter than Walt’s.

Photo shows 15.9″. Tyre fully forward is 1/4″ from touching bb shell so pretty much the practical limit without some weird custom drivetrain / treadle cranks. I’ve actually seen a very nice treadle powered custom folding bike on the streets of Bristol – I grabbed some spy photos but don’t want to post in case he had plans for patents – and I want that prize 🙂

Before anyone comments, effective seat tube angle is about 72 degrees.

Shaggy’s is very nice, but chainstays aren’t necessarily short just because tyre is close to a straight seat tube. The gap between tyre and bb shell tells the truth.

16″ is also close to the practical limit for a 1×9 / 1×10 drivetrain – much shorter and the chain is awfully strained / gears can start complaining at the outer extremes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shortest chainstays around’ is closed to new replies.