Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • shortening rear mech cable and outer?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just realised when i pull the rear mech cable through the rear swingarm there is far far far far far to much excess at the back….i have a pretty big loop at the front, not really needed as in a crash i still would make sure i have enough to move the bars either way…

main question is will i have to redo gear setup etc if i simply just snip about 10cm off the end of it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, you’ll have to remove the outer to cut it, so that means unscrewing the inner from the mech, so that menas yes, you’ll have to reattach it and adjust the gears afterwards.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh yes of course! dunce question really….ill pull the inner out first completely, leaving the the outer through the swingarm, cut that accordingly, then re-attach the cable and cut that to suit too! ahh well at least it will only be indexing! so just before i do it, 9 speed shifters do i drop the gear to 9th gear then attach the cable?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i drop the gear to 9th gear then attach the cable?

Yep. Shifter in 9, mech on smallest sprocket. Reattach the cable and pull snug. Then you’ll probably have to fiddle with the indexing unless you’re VERY lucky and get it right by accident.
    🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers pp! always seem to struggle remember which gears should be in which when setting up from fresh! ill play with the indexing it will go right eventually 🙂 cheers!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Only a slim chance of rethreading a used inner through IMHO. Make sure you have a new inner handy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘shortening rear mech cable and outer?’ is closed to new replies.