Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shortening Brake Hoses
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

Just fitted new Shimano Deore brakes – but the hoses are about a foot too long!! – how do I shorten them? Presumably this is going to lead to having to bleed them too……..

timb34
    Free Member

If it’s like the set I got three weeks ago, there will be a spare barb and olive for each brake and a yellow plastic block in two halves with them, but no instructions!

I can’t get the link on this PC, but if you google for “pdf shortening shimano brake hoses” then you’ll find a couple of guides of what to do. Dead easy and no bleed required.

Just remember that you only get one go (only one extra barb and olive) so measure twice.

Rickos
    Free Member

Have new olives and inserts ready. Unbolt hose from lever and slide the nut and shroud down the hose. Hose will need a good wiggle and tug to pull it out of the lever. Cut hose with a sharp Stanley type knife – keep the cut as square as you can. Slip over the new olive and then get those 2 yellow blocks and clamp them round the hose with mole grips or a vice. Hammer in the insert. Pop the hose back in the lever and pull the olive and bolt back up the hose, tighten hose and you’re done. May or may not need a bleed depending on how lucky you are.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

cheers – found the shimano instructions too- why the … arent these in the box??!!. Worked OK without a bleed – cheers guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shortening Brake Hoses’ is closed to new replies.