Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Short travel VP-free alternative. What can you recommend?
  • DanEvs
    Free Member

I'm currently riding a Santacruz VP-Free as my all round trail/freeride bike and while I love the stability and poise of the bike I'm starting to feel that 8in travel front and rear is probably overkill from a weight point of view.

I'm thinking that I'd like to find something with the slack angles, grip and stability of the VP but preferably with about 4in travel to make it a bit more thrashable as an all rounder. Where am I best looking for something like this?

I'm tempted by something 4X, any suggestions?

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Orange Blood sounds like it could fit the bill

DanEvs
    Free Member

Yep, just had a look at them. ooks like just what I'm after. 8)

Any more suggestions?

jackal
    Free Member

Yeti 4x.
    Job done.
    😀

jackal
    Free Member

Morewood.

Mbuzi (6" all mountain)
    or
    Shova (5" all mountain)
    or
    Ndiza (4" 4x)

😀

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba XCL, if it is not slack enough for you, there is an optional swing link to make it 1 degree slacker and a bit lower.

A pic of Forge's bike, don't think he will mind me posting it 🙂

jackal
    Free Member

solid blade, 130-160mm travel.

LINKY

I think theres talk of some different linkage plates to slacken the HA by 1 degree as well.

higgo
    Free Member

Does it have to be new?

The obvious answer is the Blur 4X if you can pick one up 2nd hand (US Ebay?)

I like mine so much I'm toying with the idea of buying another to put in the attic in case anything happens to mine (though I reckon it would take a thermonuclear strike or worse to damage it)

jackal
    Free Member

Does it have to be new?

If your interested in second hand then, get a prophet mx. 140mm travel, 65.5 degree HA in its slackest setting and 12mm bolt thru rear. Perfect.
    I just picked up my as new mx3 full bike for £660.

😀

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Intense slopestyle.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

SC Blur LT2. 5" but you will be amazed how much of a hooligan thrash it is. Need to give it a test ride though. For slacker head, go Nomad

deserter
    Free Member

intense slopestyle,use it for all my gravity riding,you can also stick a front mech on and it has cable guides for for a droppy seatpost,the new model thats due out loses these features though so be quick while all the bargains are about if you want them features

forge197
    Free Member

my Chumba when it was clean 🙂

To the OP great bike the XCL and does well as an all rounder had a blast on it yesterday around Kirroughtree red and (most of the black) minus my leg saver short cut.

DanEvs
    Free Member

I'm really liking the look of that Orange blood. Anyone know where I can get a test ride?

cpon
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Blur 4X

fozzybear
    Free Member

nice blur 4x on the classifieds for sale that would be my choice (its a large though) or a orange blood (those new 4x comical 😉 frames look nice though, had a look in STW for the 4x tests??

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Short travel VP-free alternative. What can you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.