Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Short stems
  • dans160
    Free Member

I think I understand the philosophy behind them, sharper handling, better body position on the bike(?) etc. but has anyone actually gone from a 70mm to a 50mm or even 65mm and thought Wow! that's loads better or did you feel more cramped and ditch the idea?

Real experiences and advice please?

Cheers,

Dan

druidh
    Free Member

I went from 90mm down to 70mm and felt a noticeable difference.

highclimber
    Free Member

I went from a 90mm to a 50mm and it made a massive difference in the handling for me. I also added some highrisers too though. my bike didn't like climbing anyway so the shorter stem hasn't affected me in that way

Burts
    Free Member

Went from a 90mm to a 50mm on my Heckler, and yes, first ride I loved it. Better steering, easier to lift the wheel and I haven't had any problems climbing that a bit of effort or leaning couldn't overcome.

Having said that, I am doing more AM/DH than XC and spin my way slowly up most climbs.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I've just got my 70mm stem in the post today – I'll let you know!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ok -a quick spin round the block later – yup – a big difference 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I went the other way 65mm to 90mm and my bike handles way better 8)

Northwind

I've been going both ways with mine, Hemlock kept getting shorter and is now nice and sorted at 50mm, and it does make a difference… Soul went 80-70-60 but just went back up to 70mm, 60 was nice on the descents but it took a wee bit more effort to keep the nose planted and I just got tired of it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I went from 100mm to 80mm and noticed a difference. Soon I'll be going down to about 50mm. It depends what kind of riding you do really. I like my bike to perform better going downhill so I'm setting it up that way.

sailor74
    Free Member

started with a 90mm and gradually went smaller, right down to a 35mm which was great on the descents but not so great all round, now running 50mm on both bikes with very low rise very wide bars.

dans160
    Free Member

My bike has to do everything up (not so keen on them) , down, jumps, trails the lot. Currently ay 70mm. I'll check the classifieds.

_tom_
    Free Member

I've been trying a 90mm stem for the last few days. It was ok but I found it too sluggish and forwards for descending with – not comfortable imo. I put the 50mm back on and everything feels right again 🙂 Not quite as good for climbing with but I'd rather have more fun on the downs and jumps. My bike is a "do it all" – DMR Trailstar.

Its made me think about getting a frame with a slightly longer TT though as it should be the best of both worlds – better climbing position but still lets you have a responsive front end?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got a 60mm, went down from a 70mm. If I'm honest I can't feel a difference in handling, but my bike almost fits me now!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

ive been slowly shortening and heightening my cockpit for months now. The front end of my inbred is 445 a-c rigid forks, about 190mm steerer, hope 35 degree 70mm stem on top of that with easton mid rise EA50s.

The lack of shoulder/neck pain makes its worth it. Not noticed problems climbing yet but ultra steep is a bit hard on SS.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Short stems’ is closed to new replies.