Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Short sleeve waterproof jerseys
  • thepurist

So first came the gabba and now it seems there’s a plethora of them to choose from. I’m tempted for the coming autumn commute season where you never know what the weathers going to do, so who’s got what and what are it’s good and bad points? For info I’m a hot running type so avoid extra layers where I can get away with it,hence if I can lose a gilet or jacket that’s a bonus.

dudeofdoom

I’ve got a Gabba and a stolen goat orkan thing…Gabba needs an under layer as its not nice against skin whereas the stolen goat doesn’t as its more pleasant to touch.

There not waterproof thou 🙂

The do shed water but do finally get saturated but and this is the good bit they keep warm whereas a normal top will get wet and cold they don’t. Both are nice..

I use SS with nanotech arms .

I use mine on days it may shower but in winter I tend to wear real waterproof (boil in bag stuff)if it’s pouring down..

fifeandy
    Free Member

I run cold, live in Scotland, and haven’t seen the sun since May, hence i’ve been buying up weatherproof kit whenever its on sale for the last year or so.

I’ve got a Gabba, Louis Garnaeu Powershield, Endura Classics jersey and Gore Oxygen Windstopper.

Gabba is a without doubt a quality bit of kit, materials are nice, looks good, fit is superb and comes in a range of colours. I wear it with a SS base layer and its good for a temperature range of around 10-17. Windproofing is excellent, breathability is good, water resistance is a disappointment. You can tip water from a jug onto it and it runs off as if 100% waterproof, however flick water off your fingers so its moving at speed (like rain) and it wets out quite easily. Have purchased some nikwax to see if this can be improved. It should however be noted due to the perfect windproofing you remain warm whilst pedalling even when wet.

Garneau powershield is not quite as good a jersey from a design viewpoint, in that the pockets aren’t great and the tail flap is a bit meh. However from a technical viewpoint, i find it better than the Gabba, better breathability, and better water resistance.

Not worn the Endura classics jersey yet, very strange rubbery stretchy material. Expecting very good wind/waterproofing, but maybe not so breathable? Looks good, fits well, seems good quality. New version out now, so last years is heavily discounted at the moment.

The Gore Oxygen jersey is a bit of a different animal in that it has no water repellancy claims. Part windstopper, part normal jersey. The concept is great, and for me at least makes traditional summer jerseys redundant in Scotland. Good from around 13-21 degrees, and if it gets warmer just unzip the front a little. Fit, as with other Gore stuff isn’t perfect, bit baggy round the shoulders. Oh, and 5 pockets is epic – will be buying at least one more of these if i see a good deal on them.

Overall, fabulous bits of kit that largely dispense with the need to carry an emergency waterproof and/or gilet. Have also helped me ‘man up’ and go out on those iffy days where i may previously have opted for a turbo session.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Short sleeve waterproof jerseys’ is closed to new replies.