Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Short Carbon Crank Ideas
  • jamj1974

Looking for some ideas from you guys. I’ve had a bit of a search but nothing is really hitting all of my requirements. I want short carbon cranks – 165mm. My criteria are: –

– 165mm obviously!
    – Carbon. I’m not looking for an alloy crank so please don’t suggest one
    – Normal external BB compatibility. That means GXP or HTII to me
    – A normal trail type crank. I’m not looking for a DH heavyweight option
    – The option of direct mount would be good

I did like the look of the E13 cranks until I read they needed a unique BB. I am totally happy with my XX1’s apart from the fact they are too long.

Who’s got a suggestion?

jamj1974

Cheers John. They are the one set I had identified that I liked – so another vote for them is a positive!

mechanised

I did notice they are 83mm BB shell, usually on downhill only bikes, may not fit yours?

jamj1974

You can get them in 73 as well.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve linked the wrong ones… 🙂

If I had the money for cranks, that’s where it would go.

BearBack
    Free Member

I put some 165mm Gravity Gradient on my wife’s spark. Not as light as my previous FSA carbon but super stiff.
    Also look for older generation FSA k-force (3 bolt) or SL-k megaexo cranksets. The SL-k is super light, 4 bolt and regular 24mm? Spindle like shimano etc. Were originally available in 165 but might be rocking horse poop rare now.

jamj1974

Cheers guys!

jamj1974

Went for the SixC’s. Feel stiff (I’m heavier than I should be – so can feel flex), and the clearance is really an improvement. Thanks for your advice guys.

honourablegeorge

Sixc are a DH crank and need a specific 30mm BB – good to see compromise 🙂

jamj1974

^^. Yes, I did have to go with a new BB in the end. Bit annoying TBH. I didn’t mind them being rated for DH – was more concerned about having a crank with excess weigh. As the SixC’s are light anyway, it didn’t matter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Short Carbon Crank Ideas’ is closed to new replies.