Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • short cage rear mechs
  • Gooner
    Free Member

can i run a short cage rear mech with an 11 – 34T cassette and a single 26T front ring?

thanks

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Yes

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Shimano Saint

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Why would you run an 11-34T and a 26T?

But yes you can, you can run a shortcage or super short cage with an 11-34T and a 36T.

Gooner
    Free Member

dirtynap,

i am thinking of converting my heckler into a "mini d/h" bike and although i don't intend to ride it uphill there will be the odd ocassion that i need to bike it uphil and/or on the flat and i am not fit enough for a 36T front ring!

tf
    Free Member

But how will you make it ride downhill with a 26 chain ring? What you want is more like 36 and 22 front, preferably with a chain device, and a medium cage mech (though I am sure you can get that work with a short cage, if you really want).

(BTW, the Heckler is far too steep to be gravity-only bike, unless you fit lot bigger forks than SC recommend, which will screw up the (perfect) way it handles. The BB is also quite low on a Heckler for that sort of use …)

Rickos
    Free Member

Careful, I have an X9 short cage and when I swapped wheels over for one ride while the normal pair were incommunicado I put the gears into the biggest sprocket (34 tooth) and couldn't get it back off again without splitting the chain. The cage of the mech got stuck behind the big sprocket. Normal wheels run 11-32 and have no problem.

rootes1

yes – i run a super short rear mech x.9 with 1×9 32chain ring 11-34 cassette.

Rickos – take it yo did not adjust the B screw or got the chain length wrong?

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, prolly. Chain length was OK, so prolly the B screw adjuster.

I'll get me coat.

jam-bo

26t for DH?

you may as well take it all off and coast….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘short cage rear mechs’ is closed to new replies.