Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shopping bike for my mum…. cast an eye on this…
  • alpin
    Free Member

my mum complains about her knees and i complain about her driving to town or the supermarket (both apporx. 2 miles) so i thought i would buy her a bike.

i stumbled across THIS from Halfauds and thought it’d do the job.

any one have any opinions or experiences – positive or negative – with it?
    she lives in Chelmsford which isn’t particularly hilly (zero hills, TBH) and the journey to town is 100% bike path through the park.

cheers

J

allthepies
    Free Member

Does your Mum want a bike ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mum wants something a bit more bling for christmas, sunshine!

alpin
    Free Member

yes she does want a bike. or has sort of mumbled in the past “oh, it’d be nice if i didn’t have to car the car but….” statements that wouldn’t be mumbled if she had a bike.

she used my sister’s (newish) bike a few times last summer, but said the saddle was uncomfy and it had nowhere to put stuff…. it is a MTB, though.

@ stoner, i did think about an e-bike, but figured for the short trips into town or to the allotment it’d be overkill.

zilog6128

that bike is over 36 lbs 😯
    do you hate your mum or something?

emanuel
    Free Member

aye,she’s your mum.
    get her a nice singlespeed.change the handlebars to something like the mary,or the nc17 trekking jobbies.
    lower the gearing.get some nice grips,cork,or ergons,fiddle around with the stems,like you would for yourself.plastic flat pedals.nice light tyres.
    a basket,those klickfix ones are cheap,and you can get a replacement clamp to make a klickfix handlebag with an old handbag.treat her tight.
    oh and one of those heart stem caps.

there’s some electras on crc,or get a pompino.and a lock,obviously.
    it’ll cost you,but hey.

cinnamon_girl

Dare I ask her age?

A superlightweight Ti might be just the ticket. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

60…. something.

have looked at other similar bikes, but this seems to fit the bill best.

cinnamon_girl

Actually scrub the Ti – full suss is the way to go!

edhornby

my mum complains about her knees

so i thought i would buy her a bike.

Whilst I love bikes and want people to ride them, you may need to make sure that taking up riding again isn’t going to make the knees worse – the bike really needs to fit her right, and needs gears that she can use confidently so that she’s spinning the gears rather than mashing them

cinnamon_girl

Where I live now there seems to be loads of older people using those motorised scooter thingies. On the road. Country roads too. They don’t have insurance but do they have to pass a competency/medical test I wonder?

MarkyG82

Since passing my old mtb onto my dad who is also 60..something and has sketchy knees, I have come to the conclusion that the simpler the better (less to go wrong) and save weight where you can.

That one you chose is fine but you could build something up in parts from here/ebay that would suit the bill better. If you are fussed about her having a shiney new bike then maybe a new frame with used parts?

If you could ride the Halfrauds bike and the one you could build side by side there would be a massive difference.

emanuel
    Free Member

my aunt’s got a pompino.she’s 62.3sp nexus,but I’ll build her a fixed wheel so she can try that.
    didn’t skimp,but I could have saved a lb on the build.wish I had,now.

you can build up a light ss 26″ bike,with big apples and trekking bars,and shorter cranks.
    the lighter it is the better I reckon.esp for people not used to cycling.
    kona p2 forks,one of those lisa frames.317s,165 cranks,vees,sks.about 500 pounds should do it.
    fit really is everything,esp for women.they often ride men’s bikes,and proportions are different.

emanuel
    Free Member

or decathlon’s got some stuff that’s fine.would still change contact points tho.and get some cheap stems for her to try out reach.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Nice and light.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shopping bike for my mum…. cast an eye on this…’ is closed to new replies.