Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Shoes for flats – £50 budget
  • craig24
    Free Member

Is there anything worth considering under £50? Size 8 😉

jamesy01
    Free Member

I’m looking for flats along the same money as you and found this site earlier today…
    five ten selection
    Anyone used them before?

akira

Crc had some Sombrio ones that arent bad.

craig24
    Free Member

jamesy01 – Member
    I’m looking for flats along the same money as you and found this site earlier today…
    five ten selection
    Anyone used them before?

Never heard of them but the impacts are tempting…

matty456
    Free Member

Shimano am41s I’ve found are good especially in winter.

thebadabing

Amazing shoes. I have the impact vxi and freerider.

Bought the free rider but in the rain and mud they get destroyed but really good in the summer. Impact vxi are excellent in the mud and wet and are also very easy to wipe clean.

The soles are really sticky so perfect for using on flats. I can’t rate them high enough. I use the vxi’s on every ride right now.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them as cheap as on the link above.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Prices have gone up £20 since I posted the link….what’s that all about 👿

nairnster
    Free Member

Thats because they can see they are getting web traffic from a link on a cycling forum.

bedfordrd

I’d second the Shimano AM41’s – light-weight, stiff enough, and good in these changeable conditions. Oh, and quite grippy!

eltonerino
    Free Member

I bought AM41s but had to send them back and go for a size up. I’m usually size 8 (42), but have returned them for 43s, as my toes just touched the front of the shoe.

mike399
    Free Member

Another vote for AM41s. Shimano have given them a re-style recently so you may find some bargains.

craig24
    Free Member

Can the AM41s be had for £50?

Tempted to spend a bit more and get the Freerider Elements. £75 at Rose – https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/five-ten-freerider-elements/aid:777987

eltonerino
    Free Member

£60 at CRC in the clearance. If you buy something else in the clearance for £15, you can get £10 off. So, not £50, but no far off…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sombrio mid tops here. Bought two pairs as they are great. Absolutely shit when trying to walk on muddy fields though!

craig24
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member

Sombrio mid tops here. Bought two pairs as they are great. Absolutely shit when trying to walk on muddy fields though!

Only got white left in my size otherwise I would of had some.

flyingmonkeycorps

Sombrios if they have your size. Proper bargain for the money.

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for Sombrios. Very good VFM.

kayak23

wrightyson – Member

Only got white left in my size otherwise I would of had some.

They don’t stay white long believe me!
    I went for the white purely based on price. Decent shoes but yes, not for muddy fields.

craig24
    Free Member

Do people prefer the Shimano’s over Five Tens then?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got some and really like them. I like that they have a bit of weatherproofness compared to a lot of 5 10’s and were cheaper. Although I’ve never tried 5 10’s I didn’t I’d like the level of grip they are reported to have, I like to be able to move my feet around a bit and not feel like they are glued to the pedals. The Shimanos feel plenty secure to me, I think some of the attraction of 5 10s is to compensate for poor technique. A good pair of Etnies are fine in the drier months.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mine are white. They look sound now they’re bedded in, plus they’ve greyed even further on the insides where they rub in the chain stays/cranks at certain times.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think some of the attraction of 5 10s is to compensate for poor technique

Eh?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m on my second set of AM41s, the first lasted about 18 months but this set are wrecked after only about 8 months.
    They’ve had a lot of use I suppose and in the wet which doesn’t help.

They’re pretty cheap though and very comfortable so I can’t complain.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Sticky soles keep your feet on the pedals even if they’re not in the ideal position. Just a thought.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flats – £50 budget’ is closed to new replies.