Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • shockwiz
  • beano68
    Free Member

Been using this for a little while now. and getting the hang of it slowly.. I’ve got Pike RCT3, but when you finish a session is says you must start the adjustments from top to bottom .. But when it comes to HSC theres no adjustment on these forks and what about the Bottom out resistance column ??

Might be a mong but need to know how this works

colournoise

We’ve just ordered one for the club, for members to hire for 15 quid a week. reckon it’s already pretty close to paying for itself in ‘advance’ hires.

I’m interested, but happy to be lower on the waiting list so I can learn from everyone else’s experience with it.

tops5
    Free Member

I’ve borrowed one of these but can’t get it to work with me rear shock. It’s a 2016 fox factory DPS with the evol air can fitted. I can’t get the blimming thing to calibrate, I go through the steps (and I’ve watched the video) but I keep getting a message saying it didn’t measure enough of a pressure change between full extension and compression. Help!

*I’ll try where I borrowed it from tomorrow, but thought I’d ask here as well

I get this with my DP Pike must be user error as no-one else seems to be reporting it as an issue?

benpinnick

Been using this for a little while now. and getting the hang of it slowly.. I’ve got Pike RCT3, but when you finish a session is says you must start the adjustments from top to bottom .. But when it comes to HSC theres no adjustment on these forks and what about the Bottom out resistance column ??

Might be a mong but need to know how this works

Thats a problem with the SW – it recommends stuff you cant tweak. If you get a bottom out though try adding an extra token. The effect is similar and might work for you.

beano68
    Free Member

Found this on their site, so this will have to do.

This explains it

kimbers

Just wanted to say how much I like these again!

Swinley isnt exactly the alps but Swinley Bike Hub hire them out and I gave it a pretty good go at hitting every type of terrain I could find there today.

Had to put a token in on the trail (suspected id need one) but my Yari with luftkappe +  novyparts damperis definitely better than My Luftkappe’d Pike now

its quite satisfying getting things all in the green!

rickon
    Free Member

My god, man, clear those notifications! My OCD sense is tingling.

kimbers

I’d been busy all day shockwizing !

thepodge
    Free Member

I got an email today saying my (shockwizz competitor) sussmybike is now even better. Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two systems.

kimbers

Not seen that susmybike before, interesting,not as tidy as shockwiz,but obviously coil friendly and half the price !

twonks

Just wached the Shockwiz videos after seeing the reduced price bit on the STW home page.

Not cheap but in relation to getting the best out of an expensive bike and the rides, I think I’ll buy one.

Slightly confused over the need for one or two of them for a full suspension bike?

It doesn’t say anywhere that I can see about synchronising results from two to get the best out of a dual suspension bike so I guess it is just do one shock at once.

Ultimately I spose it is only measuring one end at once but wondered if changing the setup of a front end could alter the rears ability. Probably not important as one end will only marginally affect the other unless something is really wrong, but thought I’d ask how people are getting on with one shockwizz and dual suspension. Is there an order to set the ends – front first etc, or do you just get one end dialed in and move to the other.

Fat-boy-fat

Does anyone know of these gadgets being available for hire in Stirling?

mark90
    Free Member

I set my bike up just using one shockwiz. Did quick runs on fork and shock to check they were both in the right ball park. Then focused on the fork doing a few mixed rides making slight adjustments, only one or two clicks needed from where I was at. Switched to rear shock once front was dialled and after a good few rides I’m happy shockwiz agrees with how I had shock set, bar an amber on HSC which isn’t externally adjustable, and anecdotally shockwiz tends to suggest HSC is set too high. The official shockwiz guidance is front or rear first doesn’t matter.

timmys

I got an email today saying my (shockwizz competitor) sussmybike is now even better. Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two systems.

Not yet used my sussmybike unit and would love to see a side by side comparison.

Any Singletrack writers – feel free to contact me if you want to borrow mine to directly compare to your shockwhizz 🙂

My feeling is these things are going to live or die on the quality of the app and the setup recommendations it gives. I’m nervous for sussmybike having loaded up the app and seen how shonky it looks.

Unfortunately for sussmybike I don’t ultimately think the RRP saving is a massive advantage either as you can hire a shockwhizz for £25 a day or buy amongst a group of friends or club.

Does anyone know of these gadgets being available for hire in Stirling?

Mail order rental here; https://www.plushsuspensiontuning.co.uk/quarq-shockwiz

poah
    Free Member

be interested to see what the susmybike unit thinks of my set up.  can’t use the shockwiz on my fork or shock.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m expecting after two years of delays and an update 10 minutes after physical units hit the customers to still be underwhelmed by the sussmybike but it’s paid for now so I’ll stick it out.

vincienup
    Free Member

@twonks, you only need one. The idea is mount it one end and tune, then transfer it and repeat.

LittleNose
    Free Member

As a suspension luddite I find my Shockwiz excellent value, it has transformed the feel of my bike.

z1ppy

Does anyone know when the promised price reduction will take place? (zyrofisher/Wiggle prices haven’t dropped)

Akers

PSA: Singletrack bikes currently stock them at £259.99. I just ordered one 🙂

steveh

If anyone is after renting one around Sheffield drop me an email (in profile).

z1ppy

Good PSA Akers…

No update from the sussmybike users?

thepodge
    Free Member

Sussmybike has been delayed, after extensive testing it was ready for public release but 2 weeks later it’s delayed for a month because battery life was poor.

Last I heard mine should be here next week but I’ve given over believing anything they say .

thepodge
    Free Member

Just had an email from sussmybike. The 2 weeks delay has turned into 10 weeks. The price has also been increased to be much closer to the shockwizz. I expect I’ll get more emails soon enough where they focus more on money, less on delivering a product and likely delays.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been shockwiz fiddling for a few weeks courtesy of Dom at Kustom Bikes in Wheddon Cross, Exmoor.

Public thanks to Dom.

I bought my FS from Dom and I’d been struggling with a Monarch debonair that I just couldn’t get right via the time honoured analogue means (up and down a kerb). It turns out that the compression tune was too light for my weight, so to stop it wallowing around in the mid-stroke I had to have so much pressure there was no small bump sensitivity and I couldn’t get to the end of the shock either.

I swapped it out for a fortuitously timed and stunningly bargainous nearly new DPX2 from a local riding group and promptly set about shockwizzing.

Its been an educational experience, and it was reassuring to find that 19 years of mtb’ing have taught me a bit, scoring 92% on ‘balanced’ straight out the gate. The more aggressive riding I did in places like CyB and Brechfa pushed it down, mostly due to too little progression and low pressure ( I’ve always run 30% sag, linear forks and shocks)

I’ve spend some time tuning ‘playful’ and ‘active’ to see where my preferences sit, which are generally playful, and its been super useful tool understanding the suspension behaviour on the really fast choppy stuff where you don’t have the brain space to think about what the suspension is doing because you’re to busy trying not to crash.

One thing that has surprised me is that the shock whiz has had me up my pressures generally by about 20%. This has resulted in much smaller sag percentages than my stock 30% (think 15-20%). I note that this makes for much more responsive, poppy and smooth/fast bike at modern trail centres with reliable, predicable lines and surfaces, but a more skittish, slippy bike on my regular slippery limestone, clay and roots of the Mendips, where its clear that suspension response is required before my wheels begin sliding!

This opens the door to a ‘trail centre tune’ and a ‘trail riding tune’, which as a concept I’ve never considered before.

Currently, I’ve just backed the pressures down and modified the damping accordingly, because I’m not sure I can be arsed to faff about with my suspension that much once its been set.

weeksy

Going to give one of these a go in the next week or two… Anyone know if they’re better done in pairs on an FS ? Or single unit, do front, then do rear ? Or does it not matter either way ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think you already know the answer.  Two gets results faster but the end result should be the same regardless.

weeksy

I think you already know the answer

If i knew the answer i wouldn’t have bothered asking. I’m going to hire them and split the costs with a mate, so it’s £10 or £20 each for the day, so completely irrelevant to me in that context. But wanted to know which plan was best.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d go for two, be twiddling both ends at the same time.  With one unit you have to do one end then the other then maybe back again in case the front has had an impact on the back and vice versa.  So if I could have the luxury of two units I would do that without hesitation

weeksy

Makes sense and along the lines of what i was thinking/wondering. It’s something on motorbikes we do a lot, using a professional suspension guy to tune the bikes for track etc… but in a MTB context there’s no person who seems to offer such a service in a “OK, add in some more rebound” after bouncing on your bikes a bit… I guess MTBing is a bit different in that context than motorbikes, but no reason we as riders shouldn’t have our bikes set optimally.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve paid to have my motorcycle set up on a track day and all I got was a pretty basic set up.  I’d hope the shockwiz gives much better set up as it is logging your actual riding and the suspension response.

Be keen to hear what you think of Shockwiz once you’ve tried it

(I have one unit and think it is a handy tool.  The changes it suggested were small tweaks rather than a major revelation but I guess that was always likely to be the case)

damascus
    Free Member

I’m based in West Yorkshire if you want to hire mine. Email in profile.

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’re near Sheffield you can borrow my SussMyBike, same thing as Shockwizz but different application.

weeksy

Thanks guys, I’m down near Swinley.

I spent 10 mins on the phone to Bird which was very very informative and even a little scary 🙂

I’ll deffo be getting one in the next couple of weeks though for the day once my mate sorts his plans and days out.

enigmas
    Free Member

Anyone know of a shockwiz for hire in the plymouth area? Or own one that I could borrow for a couple of days in return for cash/beers?

timmys

My local suspension emporium rents them via post if that’s of any help;

https://www.plushsuspensiontuning.co.uk/product-page/shockwiz-rental

muddyfool

PSA: The direct mount version is currently £204.50 on CRC. 10% BC discount should mean about £184.

As far as I can tell, the direct mount version is intended for upside-down forks but comes with an adaptor so it’ll work fine with standard forks too.

MSP

Here is something that is a little unclear on the recommendations screen, so you have a line from “remove air” to “add air” going left to right, and the aim is to get it in the middle.

But that could be read 2 ways, ie if the marker was towards the left left it is on the remove air side, so the recommendation is to remove air. or alternatively it needs the marker needs to move towards the right, which is add air so air should be added.

Which is it, I can’t find anything in the manual that says which? Am I the only one who sees the 2 possible ways of reading this?

weeksy

Lol I totally get ya. I forget now I’ll check later. Easy enough to test though

antares
    Free Member

I get where you’re coming from too but if it’s on the left side to remove air then you remove air

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘shockwiz’ is closed to new replies.