Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shock query
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Im looking at changing my shock over.

if I get the right length and travel eg 190mm x 51mm is all that there is to worry about fitting wise?

Also can you simply take the shock bushings and mounts from the old shock and use in the new (if in good condition) if going from FOX to Rock SHOX or would I need to buy a new set again of the right diameter and width for the new shock.

z1ppy

Obviously if you go from non-piggy back to piggy back, you need to check it’ll fit, but no fit wise it should just slot in and unless it’s an old 03-04 RS shock it should have the same size bushings & so mounting kit.

Whats more difficult is getting a shock the correct “tune” from your bike, let alone if it’s been tuned for a specific rider (if buying 2nd hand)

stevied
    Free Member

Whats more difficult is getting a shock the correct “tune” from your bike, let alone if it’s been tuned for a specific rider (if buying 2nd hand)

When I bought my last shock (2nd hand but little use Fox CTD) I got the seller to send it direct to TF for a PUSH tune to suit me and my bike. That way I knew the shock was suited to me and got peace of mind that I hadn’t bought a lemon.

z1ppy

Fair enuff, very sensible, but you see loads of 2nd handshock ads, saying “PUSHed” as a selling point. So it been tuned to a specific rider & bike…. that’s a really great selling point that…

kirky72
    Free Member

I was looking at buying a monarch debonair from the German websites at around £170. It would just have a medium tune, but I’m really looking for a full lock out for all of the hills we have around my way and the bike could then potentially replace my hard tail. instead of having HT, 140mm/130mm full suss and 160mm full sus.

Im a little bit concerned that the stock tune may be at odds with my bike however can I not fettle with it to suit?

stevied
    Free Member

Most shocks fitted to bikes are a compromise in terms of performance. Most a spec’d in a base tune to suit the frame mechanics based around Mr Average-rider so just buying a shock that fits will mean that you may get a shock that is not suited to your frame.
    Might be worth doing a bit more research to see what shock options there were with your frame and what base tunes they came in.
    You will be able to tweek it for sag, rebound etc but the internals may be totally wrong for your frame.

edit: what frame do you have and what shock is currently on it?

kirky72
    Free Member

Its a Transition Bandit 29er 2012 frame that came with 130mm travel fox float RP23 Kashima coated with boost valve.

I posted separately that its sets so it sags to around 40% and wont physically take any more air, its got a volume spacer so the last bit of travel ramps up and doesn’t blow through too easily however having 40% sag to start with doesn’t give much travel to play with.

honourablegeorge

How can it be set to only allow 40% sag? What about a heavier rider?

kirky72
    Free Member

Sorry that’s what its sagging at with me aboard (around 12stone) and I cant get any more pressure into it. I suspect its broken hence looking for a new one.

stevied
    Free Member

Might be worth emailing Transition to see if they can shed some light on what tune would be best for your bike. They should be able to advise on what to get..

tomhoward

its broken

This.

z1ppy

kirky72 – Member
    Sorry that’s what its sagging at with me aboard (around 12stone) and I cant get any more pressure into it. I suspect its broken hence looking for a new one.

Defintely sound doesn’t sound well, how old is it? No warranty option?

.. just silly idea, I have a ‘broken’ shock pump that has a leak that only starts leaking at higher pressure (works fine up to certain pressure). Have you tried another shock pump?

gonzy
    Free Member

Kirky72 – i went from a coil shock to an air shock on my previous frame. the new shock was a massive improvement in terms of lower weight, increased performance and adjustment range.

i did need new bushes for the shock to fit the frame but that was all it needed. there was no need to send it for a tune as i was happy in the way it performed.
    the shock length was exactly the same as yours.
    you may be able to get away with using the existing bushes off the old shock but only if they are an exact fit for the new shock and are in usable condition,

if you’re interested in getting a replacement shock…my air shock is currently up for sale. email in profile

gonzy
    Free Member

that’s what its sagging at with me aboard (around 12stone)

thats too much sag you’re running there
    i weigh just under 12 stone fully kitted out and the shock i ran on the last frame ran at around 20-25% sag. this is on a 140mm travel frame.

kirky72
    Free Member

that’s what its sagging at with me aboard (around 12stone)

thats too much sag you’re running there
    i weigh just under 12 stone fully kitted out and the shock i ran on the last frame ran at around 20-25% sag. this is on a 140mm travel frame.

I know, that’s the problem I only want around 25%, I am saying I can’t get the psi any higher whatever I do the sag is around 45%,

I emailed the previous owner for dome feedback and transition for advice on the tuning should I need a new shock and also to confirm f the monarch or monarch plus are good options.

gonzy
    Free Member

I emailed the previous owner for dome feedback and transition for advice on the tuning should I need a new shock and also to confirm f the monarch or monarch plus are good options.

i can confirm the monarch rl is a very good shock as that is what i ran on my previous frame.
    the shock is for sale at the moment so if you’re interested mt email is in my profile.
    info on the shock are in the link below
    monarch rl for sale

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shock query’ is closed to new replies.