Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • shock bushes, polymer or DU?
  • D0NK

What are the pros and cons of each? With both top hat style and heavy duty mounts?
    I usually use polymer but have now got some du metal bushes with no coating (have seen metal ones with a red inner coating) any good or should I ditch them?
    Also anyone know where I can get some polymer ones cheap?

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Ebay 2 for £3.5 delivered

Macavity
    Free Member

"DU metal"
    Depleted Uranium?
    It burns quite violently

D0NK

Depleted Uranium?

Dunno what DU stands for (doubt it's anything to do with uranium 🙂 ) but thats what they're called

D0NK

anyone in this morning that knows about this stuff?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

DU inner is lead, possibly sintered, with teflon. I think the plastic ones lasted longer, though not as much longer as they were expensiver, but I was willing to pay a premium for longer service intervals

therealhoops
    Free Member

i've found the plastic hulahoops last longer and are easier to get in with the BETD tool

D0NK

DU inner is lead, possibly sintered, with teflon.

The one in the pic and ones I've removed before have red inner coating. These that I have just bought have no coating at all – still OK to use do you think or bin them?
    TRH I have been using polymer ones too but I go these quite cheap

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

These that I have just bought have no coating at all

all the ones I used just looked metallic on the inside, not red

richmtb

DU = Dry Unlubricated , tend to be pretty cheap

Polymer ones last a bit longer and tend to be easier to replace

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'd ditch any without the red phosphor bronze stuff inside.
    Simon – i think you might be using DX bearings…?

From what I've gleamed over the years, DU = dry unlubricated while DX = dry needs grease. They're both dry bearings coz they don't need continual lubing like in yer car'n'sh!t.

could be wrong

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

DU = Dry Unlubricated

unlubricated because the coating is self lubricating and grease should not be used.

Simon – i think you might be using DX bearings…?

no, definitely DU! Lead is a different colour to bronze.

toys19
    Free Member

It ain't lead, I think the DX description is corrrect it looks like a grey surface – its probably a graphite bonded compound.

D0NK

the ones I have are 08du08 as recommended on another thread here a while back, sounds like there maybe different types of DU as TFtuned call them du and they have a red coating.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they will be fine the worst that can happen is they wear quicker as they are designed to wear and were dirt cheap does this matter. Cant see how it will do any damage to your shock. Willing to use my shock etc as a test if you are still worried now MTFU and use them FFS 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘shock bushes, polymer or DU?’ is closed to new replies.