Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Shit in my front garden
  • brant
    Free Member

The sewer down the road is blocked (I have been peering in manhole covers) which means my garden is filling with sewage.

This is less than ace.

Who do I ring?

I live in Walsden, Calderdale.

Drac

GHOSTBUSTERS!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Oh sorry, I thought it was a bizarre request.

Try the water company

geoffj

Water company or Environment Agency

Harry_the_Spider

Is the manhole in the road or your garden? if its the road check out the council website. They should have an environmental helpline. The words shit, kids, stream and garden should make them move quite quickly.

soops
    Free Member

Calder Sewer Services or the council

alwyn
    Free Member

That’s a bit crap.

brant
    Free Member

Yorkshire Water say it’s nowt to do with them, though they’re meant to be taking over the maintenance. It’s something to do with Bovis Homes/unadopted roads/drains and something. Local busybody getting me a number.

Might try the environment agency.

timdrayton
    Free Member

we had this problem a couple of years ago

our man hole was in our back garden, a guy up the street had put an air filter (and lots of oil) down his sewer and it backed up to us.

sweetcorn and pink toilet papermache…..*shudder

we had all sorts of problems as anglian water didnt want responsibility as they claimed the council were responsible for all properties built after 1930, the council didnt want to know as it was now privately owned.

Luckily the lady up the road who was a council tenant called them out and they did the work with a massive pump/generator business….

In short, if the blocked bit is your responsibility you could be looking at a big bill for some blokes and a pumpy thing.

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve got one that block in our front garden every few years (victorian rat trap sump not big enough for 21st century turds). MetroRod come and blast it all away for about £70 then ask me if I want to spend a grand on a CCTV survey and repairs. No thanks. I’ll just call you back again with your water blaster in 3 years.

Harry_the_Spider

WCA, Wasn’t “Shit in my front garden” the working title for last years Big Bike Bash/STW summer festival?

showerman
    Free Member

unadopted roads/drains nightmere in the waiting hope you get someone to take responsability

DavidB
    Free Member

Have a chat with the neighbours and ask them to eat less roughage

brant
    Free Member

Spot on showerman. Even my house insurance company don’t want to touch it.

Apparently Yorkshire water were up last week doing a camera survey with a view to adopting it, but nothing so far.

My house was built considerably before 1930 which somewhat confuses everyone.

How do you put an air filter down the bog?

wwaswas

as per harry the spider – I’d be tempted to just pay someone to come and give it a blast with a presuure thing and hpe the problem goes away.

Might be worth callign your insurance company and see if they’ll fork out as it’s affectign your property, though.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Good job my hay fever started today and I can’t smell anything as I’m working in the Waterfoot, Walsden, Tod area tomorrow. I hope there’s a breeze to keep the smell off Lee Quarry for my late “lunch hour

project
    Free Member

If youve got a downstairs toilet , best to shove a towel down it tonight , just incase theres a backup, and it comes up the pan, it may happen.

leebaxter
    Free Member

Get some drain rods £20 ish shove it down, block will probably dissapear.
    Lift any other covers you can find to work out which way the block is.

soops
    Free Member

Just ring Calder Sewer Services they will sort it out.
    They do all Calderdale Councils work. Might cost you £70 but you should be able to claim it back

project
    Free Member
    Jamz
    Free Member

That’s a bit of a shit situation!

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

2nd what leebaxter said – get below blockage and give it a good rodding 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You mean they actually have flush sanitation, oop North?

Wonders will never cease.

They’ll be trying to tell us they’ve got internets, next! 😀

project
    Free Member

You may need a Hacker, or it may have a Virus.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beaten to it by RudeFredBraBoy!

Damn!
    Damn!
    Damn!

🙂

brant
    Free Member

If youve got a downstairs toilet ,

lmao

Update – nice chap from Bovis homes rang me back, most apologetic, is on the case and we’ll have someone by the morning.

Otherwise, the shit will hit the fan.

timdrayton
    Free Member

brant, aledgedly it was dropped directly down the manhole, by mistake when some oil was being tipped down it…… nice

really wouldnt advise doing the drain rods thing, my landlord had a go, worth the money to get someone else to do it imho, it is everyone elses poo

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sorry Flashy! Opportunity was there for the taking, mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Open goal, dear boy, open goal!

(See, I can even use your Wendyballing parlance when necessary!)

zaskar
    Free Member

Had this prob too but luckily Water company was responsibe for the blockage-old house pre 1930’s.

brant
    Free Member

We have progress – http://twitpic.com/5jo7r

yoshimi

How are your sewers not adopted if the house was built before 1930? Was it not flagged up when you bought the place?

brant
    Free Member

The road is (currently) a private one, and drain responsibility goes along with that, and I dare say something probably was flagged up, but I’ve forgotten an awful lot in the last nine years.

All sorted now, and drains set to be adopted in the very near future anyhow.

wors

one of my neighbours was telling me many years ago that our rd was unadopted, council wouldn’t adopt it so all the residents in the street payed to have it surfaced, council then adopted it!! fookers

mudshark
    Free Member

aledgedly it was dropped directly down the manhole, by mistake when some oil was being tipped down it

Is it not illegal to put car oil into the drains?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Being in a circa. 100 yr old house on an unadopted road, what IS the legal situation regarding blockages?

(But I am hoping that, because ours is the last house on the run and have just updated all the pipes on our property during an extension project, that any blockages will always remain someone else’s problem (ie, further up the run).

yoshimi

Least youre sorted now – give me a shout next time, we’ve got a jetting/cctv unit here, sure could do you a good price 😉

samuri
    Free Member

tell them the shit has got a knife, they’re be round quick enough

sootyandjim
    Free Member

If youve got a downstairs toilet…

I believe all privies in the heathen lands are of the ‘downstairs’ variety due to them being located outside their dwellings, unless those uncouth Northerners have taken to affixing toilet seats to the upper branches of trees.

😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Shit in my front garden’ is closed to new replies.