• This topic has 34 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Shipping container in my garden
  • flip
    Free Member

Do i need planning permission?

Only having an 8×10 ft 😕

thegreatape
    Free Member

Forever?

flip
    Free Member

Well yes as a storage facility.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you have neighbours. Do you like them?

scuzz
    Free Member

Do it!

flip
    Free Member

Yes i do, they’re, ok.

I have a big garden.

This is a plan instead of renting an industrial unit for my business.

Do i need permission..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stick some shiplap on it and make it look like a shed

sbob
    Free Member

You’ll need to ask your local authority, some do some don’t.

richmars

You may get caught with change of use, but I’m no expert.

stimpy
    Free Member

No you don’t need planning permission to site a storage container within the curtilage of your dwellinghouse for storage purposes that are ancillary to your occupation of that dwellinghouse.

It does not constitute “development” within the meaning of s55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended).

It’s not change of use either.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We bung them on sites all the time. In fact left a 20×10 one got about 5 yrs. keep it well painted tho, they look tatty quickly.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

you need to look at the rules in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order. It depends on various factors such as position in relation to the existing house and road, how near to the house, whether in a Conservation Area or AONB etc etc. All local authorities would adhere to the GPDO – although if no one complains about it then they may not do anything.

Is it for business use? As noted, there is some risk of a change of use permission being needed unless the use can be considered ancillary to the use of the dwelling as such.

On balance you’re probably OK but I’d check it out before laying out cash.

Is it a shortened container? I thought the smallest was 20ft long?

flip
    Free Member

Cloudnine is a genius.

sbob
    Free Member

Also be aware that they do attract thieves.

flip
    Free Member

1/2 a 20ft.

I’d have a full one if i could get away with it

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not at al hamish – we use short 10fts as workshop containers all the time .

wrightyson
    Free Member

No we have 10×8 for offices on site.

WillH

Also, to appease the neighbours a lick of paint will do wonders. Our neighbour has one for storage, it used to be maroon and rust, and stuck out like the proverbial dog’s plums. He painted it a sort of grey/beige, which sounds horrendous but actually works really well to make it disappear into its surroundings. You may need to pick a more appropriate colour for your location, but with a bit of effort and not much cost you can make it look a lot less offensive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And as sbob says – attract theives and not actually all thT secure ive broken into them more than a few times.

stimpy
    Free Member

hamishthecat you’re wrong.

Look at s55(2)(d) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Use of any land within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse is not “development” and therefore does not require planning permission.

And if it isn’t within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse then a shipping container is unlikely to have sufficient size, permanence or attachment to the ground to constitute “development”.

sbob
    Free Member

One of my friends had the biggest sturdiest locks you could get on his, and motion sensing cameras covering from all angles.
    The thieves used an angle grinder to just cut through the sides.
    It was full of fireworks. 😯

legend
    Free Member
    hamishthecat
    Free Member

Stimpy – but it’s not use of land – it’s placement of a structure and would be treated in the same way as a shed or garage etc. It may well be PD but the same rules will apply as for those forms of development.

However, I moved away from lpa planning many years ago so I’m happy to accept there may be a different view – I wouldn’t risk my money on it though without checking it out further.

Noted ref container size – I was just asking. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t fix it to the ground and it remains a temporary structure, and not enforceable. Keep it away from the boundary. And consider your neighbours.

If you anchor it it becomes a planning concern, but still probably PD due to the modest size if it’s kept away from main dwelling and boundary. Unless you have planning restrictions on your property.

(Ex planning officer)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Big hole top entry?

sbob
    Free Member

sbob – Member

You’ll need to ask your local authority, some do some don’t.

Honestly, I’ve known dozens of people who have kept containers on their land, residential and otherwise and it really does vary from one location to another.

Check first.

stimpy
    Free Member

Hamishthecat this is me.

It’s not a structure because it isn’t affixed to the ground and not is it assembled on site – it comes to the site ready assembled in one piece. It is exactly the same in planning terms as stationing a mobile home, so it IS a use (stationing of a storage container) which, if incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse does not constitute development under the Act.

What LPA planning role did you occupy precisely?

konabunny
    Free Member

Honestly, I’ve known dozens of people who have kept containers on their land,

You move in unusual circles!

wwaswas

Do tell me that the other half of the company name on that blue container above is ‘WELL’ and they put the door there out of embarrassment.

I’d investigate the shiplap thing too and roofing it – if nothing else it’ll tend to keep the temperatures inside a bit more stable. But then I guess if you clad the whole thing in a shed you might as well just build the shed.

alfabus
    Free Member

Put it on wheels, and it is fine 🙂 no need for a trailer, just weld some big casters on it…. hey presto, it’s not a building, it’s just parked there.

Dave

totalshell

one word.. condensation.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You can kill the condensation easily with the smallest amount of insulation.

cvilla

waswas 🙂

OP mentioned storage for business, so worth checking with planning, don’t want to cause issues for the future (neighbours change). If having lorry turning up all the time different to taking the odd box out weekly.

myheadsashed

A bucket of cat litter in the corner will help with the condensation too……. 😉

sbob
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

You move in unusual circles!

Yes, but they were all people in the same line of business.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Shipping container in my garden’ is closed to new replies.