Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • shipping a bike internationally. who is cheap?
  • liamhutch89
    Free Member

I’m travelling around Asia for 3 months fairly soon and with the first stop being Chiang Mai and having plenty of luggage allowance I plan to take my downhill bike.

The problem is I don’t want to carry it around with me for the remainder of my travels, so I’d like to ship it back, but so far I’m only finding offers in the £300 region.

If anyone has sent a bike internationally for £100 or less that would be spot on, cheers

bencooper
    Free Member

£300 to ship a complete bike door-to-door from Asia sounds pretty cheap to me – that’s at least what I pay.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds about right, was doing about 250 one way to Oz, problem you will have is you get charged volumetric weight so a bike box comes up as 30+kg or will go outside of max dimensions and incur a higher fee – I had to cut down a couple of boxes.

I’d look at sea freight next but it’s hard to find anyone doing small lots.

For UK out I used a broker – transglobalexpress who were really good and got good prices, just had to play with the dimensions a bit.

Just wondering as I get really good luggage allowances and it was a bit tight squeezing the trail bike and kit in coming back to the UK how much are you getting?

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Ah well it looks like I was dreaming then getting it for any less. I might look for some storage for it while I’m over there.

Me and the mrs are getting 30kg each and 7kg hand luggage and before I’d considered taking my bike we were just taking backpacks, so 60kg is going spare across 2 cases. Qatar airways

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Being realistic my trail bike packed is about 23-25 depending on the bag/packing add in some shoes and a lid & gear then that heads closer to 30kg. I’m assuming your DH bike weights more than my trail bike? (I do bikes and planes a lot) I’d save the extra luggage for some nice stuff, I had nearly 60kg + hand luggage when I came back form the UK in January.

Kahurangi

With Qatar if you are taking a bike you should be getting an extra 10kg weight allowance.

That’s what we read, what we told the check-in staff at Manchester and what they let us check-in!

I also think that the Chang Mai bike companies do hire reasonable spec bikes so wouldn’t fly with one for just a week riding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With Qatar if you are taking a bike you should be getting an extra 10kg weight allowance.

That’s what we read, what we told the check-in staff at Manchester and what they let us check-in!
    http://www.qatarairways.com/au/en/special-baggage-items.page
    http://www.qatarairways.com/iwov-resources/temp-docs/baggage/excess-baggage-sports-equipment.pdf

Not these days, I did get extra at Manchester by stuffing it in the bike bag on the way to the oversize once it had been weighed at check in though…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘shipping a bike internationally. who is cheap?’ is closed to new replies.