Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano XTR Chainring compatability
  • KonaTC

Looking at buying a set of second hand XTR cranks, however the chain rings are toast, as I have a complete set of new XT chain rings in the shed does anyone know if XT chain rings will fit XTR cranks?

cheers

Stu_N

What generation of XTR cranks? They are pretty much all different.

KonaTC

not sure but they are about 2 years old

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are all three chain rings on different mounting holes? if so, very specific XTR rings required although I believe Middleburn and Blackspire made some. If all three rings are mounted on two sets of holes, then standard rings will fit the diameter BUT, the spacing might need a little tweaking. I believe that TA make a set for the new XTR cranks that resolve this issue.

Stu_N

You’ll need to find out to get the right rings.

XT rings won’t fit the M960 ones (first Hollotech II gloss dark grey colour) and the ones before that (M952, a matt browny grey colour that ran on a specific splined bottom bracket) had special chainrings as well.

Not sure about the latest M970 (external bearings, polished silver faces on crankarms and dark grey anodised elsewhere).

mudshark
    Free Member

Assuming they are the current ones with the standard hole pattern then they should fit though you’ll need to use spacers for the granny ring – that worked for me and my non-XTR rings – not sure what brand.

KonaTC

Cheers guys for the info

As the cranks have the rings mounted on two sets of bolts (8 in total) which look pretty similar to my Race face cranks and checking with the seller he thinks they are the M970 version, polished silver faces on the crank arms and black/dark grey anodising elsewhere, I will ask if I can see if my XT rings fit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then normal rings will fit and it might be woth looking at the XTR specifc TA ones I mentioned. If you do, remember to feed back on what they’re like. It’s what I’m pklanning on using when mine die.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR Chainring compatability’ is closed to new replies.