Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano XTR brakes 2011 – difference between race & trial??
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

Just bought some XTR race 2011 brakes.
    Am I right in thinking the trial ones have a reach adjuster on the lever and cooling thins on the brake pads, but otherwise are the same?
    Or does the trial model have any “extra”power designed into it?
    Are they both using the servo wave design.

I have been relatively unimpressed by the power of the race model, I’ve changed the resin pads to Metal pads which has improved braking massively but still not really that hardcore.

Am wondering whether Trial model might better suit my requirements?
    Thanks for anyone who knows the down-low on this!

JPcapel
    Free Member

Anyone….anyone……

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

The Trail model features both reach and free stroke adjustment that lets you fine tune the position and feel to just how you like it. The Trail brake also uses Shimano’s Servo Wave system to control leverage and add power, but the Race forgoes this to shed a few extra grams. Due to the Trail brakes different leverage it also employs a slightly taller lever blade, 14 mm vs. 13 mm for the Race, for a more comfortable fit in your fingers.

Copied from another site.

sillyoldman

There’s a pretty marked difference in both power and feel between the 2 models.

Trail is a way better brake for anyone other than weight weenies.

daveells
    Free Member

I bought the race purely because they were cleaner looking and had less places for the mud and crud to collect.Good brakes,nice and shiny 😆

Teapot
    Free Member

You can adjust the reach on the Race brakes using an Allen key although it won’t change the power. You can also put the pads with the fins in your calipers as only the levers are different between the Race and Trail versions.

Are you using the Ice-Tec rotors? Were they bled using the little yellow pot?

daveells
    Free Member

Hope floating rotors for me as I use King hubs.And bled with the little yellow pot.

Teapot
    Free Member

I’m using the Race brakes with the Ice-Tec rotors and finned pads and they are way more powerful than old XTR. You’ll have to hope that Shimano bring out a 6-bolt Ice-Tec rotor.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Thanks to all.
    Did suspect the Trials had to have better power, as read references to not needing to buy Saint brakes anymore, and the race brakes are def. not in that camp.
    Suspect I will go with Trial model for more DH oriented bike.
    Thanks again, appreciate advice.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

trAIl not trIAl

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR brakes 2011 – difference between race & trial??’ is closed to new replies.