Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano XT Shadow Rear Mech – RD772 for Dummies Guide
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Anyone got a How to book, website guide for adjust the above rear mech.

Been on a mates for a couple of hours and getting virtually nowhere even follow the Shimamno manual and got nowhere as well.

Also the paddle shift is very stiff and beginning to wonder if there is an issue with the shifter pod.

Many thanks,

RT (fed up and cold in shed)

coatesy
    Free Member

What sort of problems are you having?, have you fitted new cables? They also seem to be quite fussy about setting the B tension screw for good shifting, (also dependant on the size of cassette fitted).

igm

Slapped mine one without connecting the cable. Set the high and low limits – one at rest and the other by squeezing the inner and outer cable stop positions in my over sized mits. Screwed the adjusted all the way into the pod. Connected the cable with fairly minimal tension. Couple of turns on the adjuster and Bob was my uncle. Didn’t adjust the B tension screw; didn’t change the cable (did cut the cable back obviously ‘cos it needs less than a traditional Shimano mech)

So that’s probably no help at all.

Seriously though – start by getting the limit screws in the right place and everything flows from there (for me at least)

Iain

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll bet you haven’t routed the cable round the mech properly!

I’ve done this on front mechs and you get that heavy shifter and not enough cable pull to index properly….

Is there a shaped cam the cable should be routed round?

Let me Google, see what I can find…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmmm. I might be wrong………

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m wrong. No cam.

Drat.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.. back to shed tomorrow.

Heres a video for youtube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bVgP_MNwc

coatesy
    Free Member

Other things to check- the cable inner is clamped on the correct side(as in Peter’s pic), make sure that the outer cable at the rear isn’t slightly too short for the job when the mech is in it’s most forward position, both of these can play havoc with any attempt at indexing.

igm

That video is for low normal mechs – the shadow is high normal. May not make a difference but…

And from the dropouts on Peter’s picture it looks like the Shadow is meant to go on a Five – so that might be why I found it easy.

Bit much cable in Peter’s picture though – get it trimmed.

igm

I’m wrong, amn’t I. It’s not a Five. Idiot.

Tosh
    Free Member

I don’t think these shift as well as standard XT mechs. Will probably go back to standard 761 mech.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT Shadow Rear Mech – RD772 for Dummies Guide’ is closed to new replies.