Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano XT M786 Shadow+10 Speed Rear Mech medium cage question
  • blooshmoo
    Free Member

Anyone have one o these – Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    and run 24/38 rings on the front and 11/34 on the back, just wondering if i could take the medium cage over the long cage running this ratio.

Anyone?

andyl
    Free Member

check the capacity on the shimano website.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m running exactly the same but with a 26 ring. There’s spare capacity as it is, I think you’ll be OK

robgclarkson
    Free Member

ok, medium cage can take 36T

your set up: (38-24)+(34-11)= 37(T)

so you’ll be 1 cog more than recommended…

svalgis
    Free Member

Am I right in believing that it shouldn’t be a big problem then unless he/she likes to ride in small/small a lot?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i’m not sure to be totally honest, i would have thought what you’re saying sounds about right though…

the big/big mix should be fine…

i’m currently doing a build and have been re-searching this very topic today…

i want to go 38/24 up front and 11-36 on the back and amd trying to decide if a GS (medium) cage is going to be ok for me…

willej

Rough rule of thumb is single or double chainrings = medium cage, triple chainrings = long cage. Like svalgis says, if you stay away from small/small (or big/big if your chain is on the short side) you should be fine.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i’ve actually gone a for a long cage on my FS build which is also 2×10, it just doesn’t look right.. but i can use the full range of all my gears without issue… and that does mean big/big… i f icould can’t use that with a medium cage, then i’ll just put a long cage on my new build too, despite the way it looks….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Am I right in believing that it shouldn’t be a big problem then unless he/she likes to ride in small/small a lot

Thing is, if you’re going 2×10 it’s a bit daft if you can’t get all 10 sprockets in both chain rings, isn’t it?

willej

Medium cage mechs always look better 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I would have thought you might use all of the cassette with the big ring but still unlikely to use small-small on the granny but might want to remember not to use it if using a medium cage.

fakesounding
    Free Member

I’m running the full xt setup with 11-36 rear & 24/38 front with the medium cage shadow+ and have had zero problems.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Using 38/26 with 11-36 and use the medium cage.No problem at all.Use the big/big combo quite frequently too!
    Thanx,
    Max

blooshmoo
    Free Member

thanks for feedback guys, looks like it’s a go’er then

robgclarkson
    Free Member

this thread has also re-assured me too 8)

timidwheeler

I also use 38/26 with 11-36 with a medium cage and it works perfectly.

neninja
    Free Member

Works fine for me too – I run the same 38/26, 11-36 and Medium cage Shadow+ combo and it’s works perfectly across the entire range of gears.

stevied
    Free Member

Can someone just confirm for me that a medium cage will work with my 2 x 10 set-up? I’m pretty sure it will..

40-28 front
    34-11 rear

fakesounding
    Free Member

You’ll be fine stevieid, you’re setup is 35T which is under the max for the medium cage(36T).

stevied
    Free Member

^ thanks mate. That’s what I thought but wanted some clarification before pushing the button 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT M786 Shadow+10 Speed Rear Mech medium cage question’ is closed to new replies.