Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano UN54 plastic spacer on non drive side
  • chocolatehobdobs
    Free Member

Does anywhere sell spares of that little plastic bit on the bottom bracket that screws into the non-drive side? Mines cracked. Looks like you have to buy the whole bottom bracket.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Is it just one crack or has it actually split in two? I’ve used numerous plastic cups with a single crack in with no bother – it just supports the BB itself and a crack doesn’t seem to affect it any way.

Roll with it, it’ll be fine.

R.lepecha

there about 8 quid for a nw bb aint they? what would be the point in just buying the plastic bit?

colande
    Free Member

do you have a LBS that you are friendly with,
    more than likely they will have loads

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

more than likely they will have loads

Having spent most of my working life in a bike workshop I would say that they may well not have loads, sadly.

It’s a curious thing but here’s why: the vast majority of square taper BBs that get replaced are on lower-end “hybrid” bikes that come supplied with BBs that are honestly and truthfully made out of coagulated milk solids. A Shimano unit is then fitted but these bikes don’t actually get used enough in rubbish conditions to wear out the frankly incredible UN54, hence why not many worn out UN54s are replaced meaning their plastic cups are not available for donation.

Blimey, that was a long and boring factoid.

simon1975

The shorter axle UN54’s come with a metal cup 🙂

Pickers

I’m sure SJS do a replacement metal cup for just this purpose.
    Probably cheaper to buy a new BB though.

simon1975

I remembered this expensive solution whilst on my lunch break:
    http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bbps-upcup&PHPSESSID=ivohmlnu51ar6q1ji0ej396ks6

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano UN54 plastic spacer on non drive side’ is closed to new replies.