Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano SS freewheels
  • 2tyred

I’ve 3 bikes with Shimano bmx-style freewheels and never seem to get very long out of them. I admit to riding them through crap and seldom cleaning them (thought that was the point??) but even so I think they should last longer than they do. This morning’s commute involved a walk home after one that hasn’t seen much use packed in without warning. It had got covered in crud which I hadn’t washed off, but its pretty new so I’m a bit miffed.

Is this just the way it is with these, or is there something I can be doing like cleaning them and smothering in grease? Or am I better to bite the bullet and splash out on WI ones?

jonathan
    Free Member

Bite the bullet and get something else. There’s a few other about (eg the Try-all one), but I don’t think any are as easily serviced as the WI ones.

Anthony
    Free Member

The Shimnano one can be taken appart if you can be bothered.

2tyred

How do you take it apart? i’ve a couple of done ones i can practice on!

Anthony
    Free Member

It’s been a few years but it involves using a punch and mallet on the lockring to unscrew it (I vaguely remember needing a vice). There are loads of loose very small balls so don’t do it near the fridge 😉 Nowt inside but balls a few pawls and a large snap-ring that pops the pawls up.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not really designed for it are they. try a WI, better seals and completly servicable/ rebuildable

2tyred

The WI ones are eye-wateringly expensive though. Anyone ever had to replace a bearing cartridge on one? How much do they cost?

MrAgreeable

You can lube them if you tip your bike on its side, spin the back wheel and dribble light oil into the gap between the sprocket and the inner cover. I’ve eked a couple of years out of mine this way.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I have a few ACS Claw freewheels that are still going strong after 3 or 4 years use whereas I’ve gone through 2 or 3 Shimano ones in one winter. The WI ones are quite expensive but they do represent good value by being top quality bits of kit and servicable.

ACS Claw for £14.00

nickc

regular freehub, spacers, Groove Armada from On one. Sorted

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Of course NickC has a good point, a good quality cassette hub (normal or SS) is every bit as good as a WI and the added bonus of being easier to space the chainline. I also have a DT240 hub that has never missed a beat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SS freewheels’ is closed to new replies.