Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • shimano spds
  • sapper
    Free Member

it dont matter what i try i carnt seem to get used to my shimano spds.
    any advice?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What's going wrong?

sapper
    Free Member

just dont seem to be confident with them. things i no i can do i miss out dont no why.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can loosen of the tension so you unclip easier – but it takes time to get used to them. You can also get multirelease cleats that unclip easier Practice clipping in and out.

sofatester
    Free Member

How long have you been riding with them?

sapper
    Free Member

few mnts but ther easy to get in and out of but i just seem to think to much wen iam in them

james
    Free Member

Make sure the tension is on the minimum setting

Make sure the cleat on you shoe is positioned comfortably (help should be somewhere in the pedal or shoe instructions)

Make yourself ride on stuff you know you can do. If you know you can do it, then you won't need to unclip?
    Try to push yourself with what you do with them. I found I couldn't ride a lot of what was on the fringe on what I was comfortable with for a while, but trying to make myself ride as much as I could (technically) helped to get used to them.

sapper
    Free Member

thanks i will try that i really whant to use them but just whant to be safe to thaks guys.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Maybe the problem is that the instructions are written in English?

Coleman
    Free Member

All good advice above. If still not confident you could always try some caged spd's such as M424's which are quite cheap.
    You can run clipped in as normal or unclip and rest your instep on the cage like flatties. Useful if you feel more confident on the technical bits unclipped.

sapper
    Free Member

thats it good idea. i will try that seems just what i need. thanks.

organic355
    Free Member

Sapper.

This may be a stupid question but are you rotating your foot correctly when trying to exit the pedals?

I had a mate that got spds for the first time and kept falling off as he could get his feet out of the pedals.

It took my a while to figure out why until I asked him to show me how he was getting in and out of the pedals.

It turns out he was trying to twist his foot out by rotating the ball of his foot outwards as opposed to rotating his heal outwards, since nobody had actually told him this I guess it was an easy mistake to make.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I personally find SPD's totally confidence killing when they are in their loosest form as they clip out too easily! But it seems the normal advice to make them as loose as possible as most people dont like being clipped in.

sapper
    Free Member

i can use them fine. i just think way to much when i use them and then lose my nerv and start to unclip at every challenge. dont no why as my job is all about holding your nerv.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

It is just a confidence thing. I'm hopeless on technical stuff,but feel that being clipped-in commits me to whatever I'm trying to do,ie, rocky,or rooty descents.I prefer the pedals to be set quite tight,to prevent un-clipping on tough climbs.
    If you're not happy with spuds,switch to flats. They're not for everybody.

dobo
    Free Member

practice uncliping when riding, try fast flat riding then unlip to jump off to push your bike for a few meters then jump on and cycle fast then unclip again. it will get you used to fast cliping/uncliping.
    you could take it one step further and practice a bail out onto soft ground/bushes mud mattresses etc.
    this should boost your experience and confidence until one day it will just feel natural, like err riding a bike…

sapper
    Free Member

i had a really good ride yesterday with them and found i had more control over the bike. cliping and uncliping is fine. i put it down to confidence
    and the more i use them the beter it is.
    my bike feels better to ride with them two.

thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘shimano spds’ is closed to new replies.