Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano SPD, more expensive models last longer?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

I've got the 540's (LX), they have lasted a little over two years, the bearings are shot, and I have adjusted them and regreased (just now) and they're still pretty shot, but usuable for a short while. So, do the XT or even XTR last any longer, are the bearing systems indentical?

I had the cheapest SPD's on there before the LX, can't remember how long they lasted but the 540's did feel nicer when I used them, over the bottom of the range Shimano.

nickc

I think the bearing assembly is the same for all of them, apart from the 520. certainly the axles that you can buy from CRC that say 540 fit XT and XTR versions.

I pretty much only buy 520's now, seem last me 3-4 years, then I just chuck 'em

samuri
    Free Member

I do the same as nick. Some last longer, some don't. Still provides good value as far as I'm concerned.

warpcow
    Free Member

Oooh, I was going to ask the same. My 540s have gone exactly like yours after just one year. The old 535's they replaced had survived 7yrs. I'd heard there's not much difference between the 540 and XT so I 'd be interested to see people's experiences.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a new pair of 520s from Absolute Cycles on ebay without the cleats for about £12. They last for ages, but at that price why worry?

woodsman
    Free Member

Just had a look at those axles on CRC, say for the 540, doesn't mention the other models, I'm sure it will fit the same, but they could have a better bearing system. At 19.99 PER AXLE it's cheaper to buy a new pedal set!!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yup. Bearings die if you don't look after them.
    It's piss easy to regrease all of the 540s upwards, and the 520s too but you need a special tool for them.
    Just take the pedal off, clamp it loosely in a vice and wind out the axle assembly with a 17mm spanner. After a few turns wipe off the threads to ensure that the dirt doesn't fall into the pedal body.
    1/2 fill the body with grease and wind the axle assembly back on while spinning the axle to work the muck out and the grease in.
    Do this every few months and they will last until you bend them against a rock.

simon1975

540's and above are very easy to adjust so you can remove play in the bearings. All you need are some spanners. If you keep them tight and clean they'll last for ages.

520's need a special tool to open them up so I never bothered and they died a lot sooner.

EDIT: Damn, too slow…

aP
    Free Member

I just use Time ATAC as I've got a pair that I bought in 96 and which are still working just fine. 2 years for a set of pedals? Why do people buy such crap?

sillyoldman

Try getting any service life out of modern Atacs….. I finally gave up and swapped over from Time to Shimano on all bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've got (low end) spds that are 15-20 years old, with regular servicing it's not difficult to make them last that long.

To expect them to last 2 years without a service is a bit daft.

woodsman
    Free Member

I agree they are quite straight forward to regrease. I only did mine when they had a lot of play in them – bit late I guess!

ATAC were the worst pedals I've owned – killed my knees!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

new atac's are pants, the old ones were great though.

Now use a combination of 520's and flat pedals.

Tiger6791

520s never broken a pair yet

cp

mostly use 520's now (on three bikes), and have a pair of 540's on one bike. I have the tool for the 520's from a bearing change on a set of pedals donkeys years ago (10+ years)…

Since then I havn't opened up any of the Shimano pedals and I've just had a set put to bed after about 4 years… but that was as much as the mechanism was worn as the bearings gone.

I might open up the pedals I'm still running and have a look, but at 20 quid a new pair of 520's with cleats, you might as well just buy a new set of pedals every time you need new cleats – no worn mechanism issues.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

To expect them to last 2 years without a service is a bit daft.

I have 3 sets of 959's which are 6+ years old now, still going strong and I've only had to regrease one of the set once. My 2 year old XTRs are fine, but my 3 year old 520s are getting a bit graunchy/clicky …

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SPD, more expensive models last longer?’ is closed to new replies.